• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Tasha's More or Less The Universal Standard?

Zardnaar

Legend
Good. Anything getting lower than an A is a bad subclass that most people will not take. And the S class subclasses that spring to mind other than Twilight are for the sorcerer, largely because the sorcerer is a weak class and they bring it up to balance. Pulling down solid As means that the designers have done their job well and aren't wasting our time.

Good. Feats that aren't good are worth a waste of the paper they are printed on. And they still haven't produced anything to really rival the PHB Power-feats.

What you are saying here is that the feats are actually well designed and balanced. They're worth taking but they aren't the OP feats like Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master or, worse, Sharpshooter/Crossbow Expert in combination.

This means a grand total of three aura spells which bards weren't bothering to steal. Two of which (life and purity) are exceptionally situational. Vitality's actually good - but I can't say it's necessarily better than e.g. Revivify or Spirit Guardians. And honestly nine times out of ten Mass Healing Word is better than Aura of Vitality.

So that's three spells of which two are at best average, and one's solid long term healing. All of which aren't OP for a cleric and are fluffy for a cleric. So I see no problem here.

Your critique seems to boil down to "Most of Tasha's is useful and effective options and competitive with the better but not very best PHB options". Which yes, yes it is. This is a good thing.

It's still power creep though so if someone doesn't like power creep it's understandable they don't like Tasha's.

Note I don't mind some of Tasha's power creep eg the Beastmaster.

The PHB requires a bit more effort to break Tasha's kinda just hands it to you.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's still power creep though so if someone doesn't like power creep it's understandable they don't like Tasha's.

The PHBrewquires a bit more effort to break Tasha's kinda just hands it to you.
Absolutely nothing in Tasha’s puts characters beyond the pre-Tasha’s range of power.

There are no "Tiers" of any meaning in 5E.
Exactly this.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark

The PHBrewquires a bit more effort to break Tasha's kinda just hands it to you.
I'm confused by this. Are you saying power creep means a bunch of options on par with the regularly used options from the PHB? Are you saying that Tasha's would only be not creeping power by having everything be slightly worse than the frequently used options offered in the PHB?

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Isn't the standard definition of power creep to be explicitly better than all options that have come before it?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
In my games, it's allowed with a few exceptions (twilight cleric, I'm looking at you...), and with the warning to players that if I find something way OP, I may nerf it mid-game

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm confused by this. Are you saying power creep means a bunch of options on par with the regularly used options from the PHB? Are you saying that Tasha's would only be not creeping power by having everything be slightly worse than the frequently used options offered in the PHB?

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Isn't the standard definition of power creep to be explicitly better than all options that have come before it?

Well the racial rules are strictly better than the phb plus custom lineage option.

Throw in two overpowered archetypes and a high power level on the feats, other archetypes and class variant options (I'll give the Beastmaster a pass it needed it) and yeah it's a bit.

Remove ads