D&D 5E Is Tasha's More or Less The Universal Standard?

First off if you roll well it is possible to get a 20 right out of the gate with a +2 and no feat. While that is rare getting an 18 with just a +2 and no feat is not that uncommon. So this whole arguement is under a veil of point buy to start with.
The whole argument is about point buy or standard array. And under 4d6-L a 17 as your highest stat is twice as common as an 18.
That point aside it depends on the character and I do not agree this is universally true, especially since even with point buy being able to get 16s in 2 stats has a lot of importance.
Only with a small handful of subclasses (the main ones being the heavily armoured clerics and even there it's not the 16 they want so much as the STR 15 for the armour).

clearstream

(He, Him)
Yeah, I feel like a lot of them go against the grain and design principles of the original books with a tendency to go "more magical, more powerful".
It's interesting how it's possible to have many different takes on the same thing.

When I look at Tasha's, what I value most are where the designers have been able to express where their principles in the original books should have landed, but missed. The optional class features are the best example. And the rogue sub-class that is actually a viable alternative to trickster. That sort of thing.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Nah, no Tasha's for me. It's too far removed from the 2014 PHB. I think it's more for a younger generation of player?

The three local groups I'm in or aware of don't use it, and anyway for my introduction group we only use the simplest ruleset.

I've been thinking about Twilight Cleric. Is the problem really that it's so overpowered that it breaks things, or is it just that the abilities seem both better and less thematic than the options other characters get?
This. I don't ban the Twilight Cleric for being OP so much as for being incredibly annoying and not very thematic. The abilities seem to just be a grab bag and with a name like Twilight Cleric I expect a pizza cutter of a character

As a DM regenerating temp hit points just encourage me to focus fire and hence kill PCs while as a player using the same one click untargeted buff in the first round of every combat is simply boring. (The channel divinity scaling badly but being OP at low level is I think a feature as clerics are weaker than paladins in heroic and mid paragon but pull ahead by level 9; give them the power where they need it).

Same with the temp HP from the healing sphere. Ok, it's temp hp, not actual healing, but it's still way better than the equivalent ability from...drum roll...healing domain.
That depends what level you are. Burst hp from life can be really useful and scale far better Vs focus fire

That difference bothers me more than the actual game impact. And wtf does the idea of "twilight" have to do with temp hp, anyway? That makes no sense to me.
Metaphysical. Going into the dark places of the world and guiding people out safely. Of course there are better ways of writing beacon or guide abilities.
But, again, what does 'twilight' have to do with flying? The fluff is, imo, quite a stretch.
Pass. I'd have gone for a shadow teleport.
And what's the connection between twilight domain and martial weapons?
I kinda see this. I mean I see why Twilight is a weapon rather than cantrip combat subclass and I see a case for all of those defaulting to martial weapon proficiency in unless there is a reason not to.
What a hot mess of a subclass.
Yuuuuup

Nah, no Tasha's for me. It's too far removed from the 2014 PHB. I think it's more for a younger generation of player?

The three local groups I'm in or aware of don't use it, and anyway for my introduction group we only use the simplest ruleset.
As I've said in the past Xanathat's feels like material left on the cutting room floor of the PHB. It's entirely consistent with the PHB and generally less interesting because most of it (especially the rogue subclasses) are simply things that didn't make the cut for the PHB.

Tasha's is vastly more interesting because it's another take and vision and seeing how the game can be expanded. And because it's more interesting it's more controversial.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Watch the thread in which not starting with a 16 was considered crippling...

Your position on that is well known. Mine is no costs, no gain.

Just check how TCoE allows them. At some point, what is the point of taking a race? Let`s play all VHumans with rubber masks on. The only differentiation will be the feat taken at level one and the rubber mask you will put on. Ho my elf barb has taken GWM, +2 in strength and +1 in Con. But your elf bard took warlock initiation, +2 charisma and +1 dex. And with elf put any masks you want to put. Be it Tabaxi, or any races you want to invent.

Yep, but rolling brings its own problems and rewards. At least there is a risk involved. Especially if you roll in order... But I do not see much rolling for stats over here. The standard array is almost universal.
Maybe for ENworld posters (although even there i don't think its so), but definitely not in the general population.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Not Simulacrum. It used this spell. Ice Assassin – Spell – D&D Tools

I'll pull out the relevant parts.

"An ice assassin spell creates a living, breathing creature that is a near-perfect duplicate of an existing creature."
"The ice assassin possesses all the skills, abilities, and memories possessed by the original"
"The ice assassin is under your absolute command."

So it targets a god, which in 3.5 were listed as creatures.

And from Pun-Pun

"Pun-Pun has the Ice Assassin spell as a spell-like ability at-will. He uses it to copy an arbitrarily high number of gods. Pun-Pun then commands a god clone to make him a proxy. This makes Pun-Pun a rank 1 demigod. Pun-Pun then makes another creature (Lokiyn, the originator of the trick, used squirrels) a proxy. This lowers Pun-Pun to divine rank 0. Pun-Pun then orders another ice assassin god to make him a proxy. At divine rank 1 again, Pun-Pun invests another squirrel with a divine rank. Pun-Pun repeats this process a NI number of times.

Then, he uses a standard action to recall each divine rank back from the squirrels. A NI number of squirrels with 1 divine rank invested equals a NI number of divine ranks recalled and gained by Pun-Pun. This gives Pun-Pun a NI divine rank.

Since Salient Divine Abilities are based on divine rank, Pun-Pun has a NI number of salient divine abilities. (That is at least all of the ones in the book and includes the awesome Alter Reality.)"

The problem is that 9th level spells, even Wish, can't make something or someone a god. It's not that powerful.
Does it say that anywhere in the rules, or is belief in what spells can do a general understanding you have?

Remove ads