D&D (2024) Is the 2024 rules update a new edition? Argue about it here (not everywhere else)!

Is the 2024 rules update a new edition?

Stalker0

Legend
When we all look and talk about 3rd edition, by default we are talking 3.5, you actually have to specify if you are referring to 3.0.

I see this in the same vein. It won’t be a new edition per se, but it will take over what 5e means. Everything will shift to onednd, and so in many ways it’s the same as a new edition

When we all look and talk about 3rd edition, by default we are talking 3.5, you actually have to specify if you are referring to 3.0.

I see this in the same vein. It won’t be a new edition per se, but it will take over what 5e means. Everything will shift to onednd, and so in many ways it’s the same as a new edition
Unless enough people decide they'd rather keep playing 2014 D&D than move to the 2024 books. 3.5 was pretty much a straight upgrade to 3.0, nobody really had much reason to stay with 3.0 for a long time after 3.5 became available. So 3.0 gradually faded away as gamers upgraded.

Time will tell if the 5e -> 1D&D transition goes the same, or if there will be people who stick to the 2014 books because they like them better.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I mean, it IS a new edition; it's ALSO a half-edition; AND it's just a revision.

They could have chosen to call it any of that.

But things being what they are, they picked the most marketable. I'm anti-capitalist, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Why would you pick the name that will ruffle the most feathers? No, you pick the one that ruffles the least. The one that best describes to your audience what it is you mean to say to them, taking into account the zeitgeist of the age.

A 5e Revision it is.

Remove ads