D&D (2024) Is the 2024 rules update a new edition? Argue about it here (not everywhere else)!

Is the 2024 rules update a new edition?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
it;s fien to disagree but since the day I came back to this site until now I have seen at least a dozen people argue and even when I myself have said "Okay just agree to disagree" get people quoting me to argue why I was wrong.
It happens, sure, and it's disappointing when it does. Still, I think you'll find that with a few exceptions, most people here (even the grouchy ones) are not a bad sort.

(I still wouldn't want an AI learning from our bickering!)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
it;s fien to disagree but since the day I came back to this site until now I have seen at least a dozen people argue and even when I myself have said "Okay just agree to disagree" get people quoting me to argue why I was wrong.
The agree to disagree option is to just stop posting with that person. 🤷‍♂️

Yaarel

He Mage
I have clear definitions in mind about what constitutes a new "edition".

If players can use both the 2014 Players Handbook and the 2024 Players Handbook at the same table, then it is the same "5.0" edition.

If players can with a reasonable amount of adjustment still use both books, then it is a new "5.5" edition.

If the two books are difficult to use at the same time, then it is a new "6.0" edition.

I have been expecting a 5.5 edition. But after the fallout from the ap-OGL-ypse, there seems to be a new commitment to the 5.0 rules of 2014.

I am now expecting 2024 to be the normal 5.0.

Note, there will be adjustments. All characters will have a Background feat, and 2014 Players Handbook users will need to update to this. Also the term "species" will replace "race".

Nevertheless, starting with an extra feat at level 1 is already part of 5.0 now, for certain official settings. So the 2024 plans are still continuing 5.0. Shifts in terminology like "species" feel more like setting flavor than rules mechanics.

There might be some math tweaking for the highest levels of 13 and up, for both player characters and DM monsters. But if these tweaks actually get 5.0 players to want to reach these levels, that is a good thing, and defacto not much of a real change since few actually used these high levels any way. In any case, the 5.0 system tends to be tough enough to handle math disparities, if any.

In sum, I am now expecting full-on 5.0 in 2024.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have clear definitions in mind about what constitutes a new "edition".

If players can use both the 2014 Players Handbook and the 2024 Players Handbook at the same table, then it is the same "5.0" edition.

If players can with a reasonable amount of adjustment still use both books, then it is a new "5.5" edition.

If the two books are difficult to use at the same time, then it is a new "6.0" edition.

I have been expecting a 5.5 edition. But after the fallout from the ap-OGL-ypse, there seems to be a new commitment to the 5.0 rules of 2014.

I am now expecting 2024 to be the normal 5.0.

Note, there will be adjustments. All characters will have a Background feat, and 2014 Players Handbook users will need to update to this. Also the term "species" will replace "race".

Nevertheless, starting with an extra feat at level 1 is already part of 5.0 now, for certain official settings. So the 2024 plans are still continuing 5.0. Shifts in terminology like "species" feel more like setting flavor than rules mechanics.

There might be some math tweaking for the highest levels of 13 and up, for both player characters and DM monsters. But if these tweaks actually get 5.0 players to want to reach these levels, that is a good thing, and defacto not much of a real change since few actually used these high levels any way. In any case, the 5.0 system tends to be tough enough to handle math disparities, if any.

In sum, I am now expecting full-on 5.0 in 2024.
Even a whole new set if Classes doesn't fundamentally change anything, as long as their base math remains the same (which it appears to be doing).

Remove ads