• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General IS the 5 min work day a feature or a bug?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As DM I'm a player as well. If I can't get behind a campaign theme, I don't see how I can run an effective or enjoyable game. While I don't ban CN characters like @Helldritch , I do point out that chaotic insane is not an alignment and that I expect people to bring characters who are willing to work with the group.

Which is why I make all this clear when recruiting/inviting people to play my game. My idea of fun doesn't include PCs backstabbing each other or being the bad guys. I've never had an issue finding or retaining players, so I'm going to run a game I have fun running. If that means I'm not the right DM for every person that's fine. Some DMs haven't worked for me in the past either.
Thing is, as DM I guess I'm more willing to run whatever they throw at me as long as they don't bore me to tears (and say what else you like about it but IME PvP is never boring!); and even then if I find a game is getting dull or boring I-as-DM have got a nigh-infinitely-large toolbox with which to spice it up.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've solved this particular issue a long time ago.

"What's your character's alignment."
"I don't do that."
"You have to."
"Okay, Virgo in the Third House or something. Maybe the one where all the planets are in a straight line and that's supposed to mean something. Whatever. I don't care. Let's play."
"What's your character's alignment?"
"Slightly askew on the front left. I'm taking it in to the shop next week to get it adjusted."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I fully understand you POV! I/we just went a bit further to avoid potential problems. I have always seen CN as the Dirty Harry of Clint Eastwood. He does things his way but he is loyal to his friends. He does not hesitate to "bend" the law and hates the confines of the law but likes to bring the baddies to justice (or his justice ). But too often, people play CN as a free pass to do anything just for the fun of it.
What about prankster/trickster characters? Those too are usually CN.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Because inoculation would make it not "feel" like D&D.
Not tocontradict you but I'm not sure that the current setup of rules encouraging players to successfully use rests like
after every fight feels like d&d either. It's certainly not something where I can give players all the cool magic items d&d is known for so they can bridge the gap & pull through when they are stretched thin.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The truth is
One thing has just gotta go.
  1. Powerful Game Changing Spells
  2. Reliable and Safe spellcasting
  3. Numerous spells per day
  4. Long Test and/or Dailies
You have to choose wizard fans. As long as a wizard of name level can carry multiple grenades, super gadgets, and escape ropes as spells, cast them safely, and get them back in a few hours, there are few ways enemies have to match them in a short period of time with metagaming or every enemy having a caster of their own

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The truth is
You have to choose wizard fans. As long as a wizard of name level can carry multiple grenades, super gadgets, and escape ropes as spells, cast them safely, and get them back in a few hours, there are few ways enemies have to match them in a short period of time with metagaming or every enemy having a caster of their own
Can I vote number 2 off the island, please?

The truth is
I'd do a bit of 1 and a bit of 3. Less spell slots and tone down some of the spells.

Remove ads