D&D General Is the D&D cartoon actually more popular in Latin America?

heitormoraes

Villager
The show was so popular in Brazil (until the 90s) that we even received a comic book adaptation of Requiem*.
All the kids used to watch the show, most of whom never played D&D.

The cartoon is called "Caverna do Dragão" (dragon's lair) in Brazil and the Dungeon Master was "Mestre dos Magos" (master wizard).
The translation certainly weakened the connection between the real D&D and the cartoon, but it was awesome anyway!

*(There is a narrated version of Requiem on Youtube, on the channel of the artist "Reinaldo Rocha".)

Warduke FTW, indeed. I still have my original Warduke toy, in surprisingly good shape:

1594146207371.png

As for the cartoon's popularity, I imagine syndication had a lot to do with it. I can confirm that it was broadcast in New York in the 80s, and later in the early 00s it appeared in national syndication (I remember being shocked to see it on the TV and calling my brother up immediately to let him know).

Say what you will about impractical armor ...

WARDUKE FTW!

how old are you?

the series was very popular when I was at school, everyone wanted to be either Venger or DM but strangely enough not the kids (although I did use Hanks Bow as a magic item in my games. My cousins also had a one horned goat named Uni)
Old enough to remember He-Man, She-Ra, GI Joe, Transformers, Ghostsbusters, The Real Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The thing is I don`t ever remember there being a D&D cartoon along with those.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Old enough to remember He-Man, She-Ra, GI Joe, Transformers, Ghostsbusters, The Real Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The thing is I don`t ever remember there being a D&D cartoon along with those.

Not saying you're wrong, obviously, but that's so weird to me, because it led it's time slot for 2 years. Right at prime time for Saturday morning cartoons--not too early, and not too late.

Anand

2nd Level DM
In Brazil D&D cartoon was one of the picks for the most popular kids show on daily mornings, so it goes along with He-Man, She-Ra, GI Joe, Transformers, Ghostsbusters, The Real Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. People barely knew about D&D (the game) or RPGs at the time though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Ah so late 80’s - She-Ra, Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters came out after the D&D Cartoon (which ran 1983 - 85), it seems you just missed its heyday so I can see why you might not remember it and its not like there were regular reruns.

its funny how the generation gap asserts itself :)

dave2008

Legend
how old are you?

the series was very popular when I was at school, everyone wanted to be either Venger or DM but strangely enough not the kids (although I did use Hanks Bow as a magic item in my games. My cousins also had a one horned goat named Uni)
I always wanted to be Tiamat - can you believe that!

dave2008

Legend
Thinking about various multimedia attempts with D&D, I do remember there was that cartoon series which had at best a tenuous connection to D&D.

But the thing is I've never seen that series until I was on a vacation in Mexico (many years ago when Vicente Fox was president) flipping through channels on the hotel room's TV. I never once saw that series on TV in Canada ever.
I loved it - I had the actions figures (including Tiamat) when I was a child and bought the DVD collection when I was an adult.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases