• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the economic crisis affecting your gaming purchasing?

Is the economic crisis affecting your gaming spending?

• Yes, severly.

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Yes, moderately.

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Yes, slightly.

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 121 57.1%

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
i haven't bought much in a long time. maybe 50 bucks this year, nothing prior to that for 8 yrs or so. there are some things i would like to buy though, and the economy is putting a damper on that.

doing my taxes tonight, and somehow my job never took out state taxes. so the federal refund will go to pay the state taxes. so much for that fund. hehe.

this article i read sums up my situation nicely:

Not My Financial Crisis -- I've Got Literally Nothing to Lose | Corporate Accountability and WorkPlace | AlterNet

13garth13

First Post
Fellow Canadian and I agree wth this...

In fact, just recently, Saskatchewan government did a tradeshow and they were offering jobs at twice the wage I'm currently working in....

Alberta and Saskatchewan are freaking booming, only reason I'm not moving is I'm comfrotable and it is DAMN cold in those provinces (and this is coming from someone in Ontario...)

Firstly, my buying hasn't been affected at all because with a one year old already racing madly about the house and a new baby on the way, my gaming budget is what could politely be called "somewhat reduced" ;).

Secondly, dude, as someone who has lived in not only Winnipeg but also Northwestern Ontario (which those in points south of The Soo might like to forget is still a part of the province ;) ), I feel obliged to inform you that anything warmer than -20 Celsius is not even remotely in the neighbourhood of "DAMN cold".

Bloody southern Ontarians....making the rest of us Canucks look like wusses ;) :D

Cheers,
Colin

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I feel obliged to inform you that anything warmer than -20 Celsius is not even remotely in the neighbourhood of "DAMN cold".

Bloody southern Ontarians....making the rest of us Canucks look like wusses ;) :D

Cheers,
Colin

I'm an Army Brat who was born in New Orleans and have lived the bulk of my life in Texas. I say that for 2 reasons.

1) I got frostbite living in KS when the temp dropped to -50F (@-45C, as I recall). That was damn cold enough for me.

2) Having lived so long in the South, I'm always amused when I hear about heat advisories and heat stroke warnings in the North when the temps kiss 80F (@27C or thereabouts).

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Not at all. I am, thankfully, in a relatively recession-proof field.

The arrival of 4E dropped my per-month spending by at least 50 percent, and I've cut way back on how much of each set of DDM I buy, but neither of those are due to economic factors. I still maintain a healthy Pathfinder subscription bundle, and I've started buying the occasional new system. (Almost finished absorbing the M&M core rulebook. True20 will probably be next.)

SPoD

First Post
I'm worried about loosing my job, but I'm not sure how much difference the small amount I spend on gaming products would make if I were suddenly jobless.

This.

If I were to lose my job, the $30-40 I normally spend on one book every other month wouldn't come close to touching any of my bills, so it seems pointless to give it up. I don't play 4E, so I don't have much outlet for that cash anyway.

My once-$50-a-week comic book budget, on the other hand, has seen huge pre-emptive cuts, down to only a few of my favorite titles. If the economy turns around and my job stay safe, I'll pick the B-list titles up in collected trade paperbacks afterwards.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Aussie dollar has gone from being worth US$0.95 to US$0.60 in the past month. My buying power has almost halved. Yes, it's affected my purchasing.

Cheers!

13garth13

First Post
Threadjack ahead!!

I'm an Army Brat who was born in New Orleans and have lived the bulk of my life in Texas. I say that for 2 reasons.

1) I got frostbite living in KS when the temp dropped to -50F (@-45C, as I recall). That was damn cold enough for me.

2) Having lived so long in the South, I'm always amused when I hear about heat advisories and heat stroke warnings in the North when the temps kiss 80F (@27C or thereabouts).

:) Dude, anything colder than -40 Celsius (when the two temp scales cross paths) can quite certainly be called damned cold (heck I think once you drop below -30 Celsius you're in the "damned cold" zone)

Sorry about the frostbite though....I feel your pain.

The year that Mt. Pinatubo (sp?) blew up, I was still walking to university (5 kilometres each way) and it was regularly below -50 with the windchill for a week solid and lower than -40 for around two or three straight weeks after (provided I'm remembering correctly....those sorts of things tend to provoke exaggerated memories that lend themselves to stories that grandchildren never believe) and despite dressing up VERY appropriately for the weather I still got some frostbite on the tip of my nose and my earlobes.

Heat warnings for 27, huh? Weird....we regularly get in the high twenties and low thirties in Winnipeg during the summer and I sure as heck don't remember hearing any heat advisories....You're right, it must be a Yankee thing ;):lol:;)

Cheers,
Colin

Mallus

Legend
No.

(I don't spend a lot of money on gaming paraphernalia. I have the 4e box set and Adventurer's Vault, which is all I need until 2009 --oh, and I bought a Warhammer miniature to use as my Dragonborn paladin PC. Frankly, my biggest gaming expense in the delicious Indian take-out we order nearly every session).

The_Gneech

Explorer
What's most affecting my game purchases right now is the relative lack of new stuff I want to get. I used to subscribe to the print Dragon and Dungeon, but they're gone, I used to buy data sets for E-Tools, but it's gone, I used to buy Dungeon Crawl Classics but there hasn't been that much from them that interested me lately.

Right now, my main purchases have been miniatures, mostly from Reaper or hard-to-find UK imports because for some reason UK gets all the cool pulp-era figs. Second on the list has been ancient Call of Cthulhu scenarios off of eBay. But that kind of thing has been happening all along with me.

The only direct impact the economy has had on my gaming purchases is that my FLGS put their discount program on hold "for the duration."

-The Gneech :cool:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No.

(I don't spend a lot of money on gaming paraphernalia. I have the 4e box set and Adventurer's Vault, which is all I need until 2009 --oh, and I bought a Warhammer miniature to use as my Dragonborn paladin PC. Frankly, my biggest gaming expense in the delicious Indian take-out we order nearly every session).

While I'd love to inquire about your taste in Indian cuisine, I'm in Dallas, not Philly, so I'm more interested in your recent mini purchase.

What can you tell me about your Warhammer "Dragonborn?" Product #? Pix?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads