• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is the economic crisis affecting your gaming purchasing?

Is the economic crisis affecting your gaming spending?

• Yes, severly.

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Yes, moderately.

Votes: 32 15.1%
  • Yes, slightly.

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 121 57.1%

Tetsubo

First Post
I'm only buying new books if I can get at least 50% off or more from the cover price. If the savings is less than that, I'm not buying at the moment. We'll see how things look as we enter 2009.

I did just put in an order for the latest Green Ronin sale though. Twelve books for $48 is a good deal.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
Slightly. Not sure I could point to anything specific. Just an awareness overall that I need to make sure (as sure as possible in this economy!) that savings are taken care of first.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Economics is having a slight, but indirect effect on me--and not what the OP probably means. There isn't much I want, and hasn't been for several years now. So I'm perfectly capable of buying the little I want, even in an up and down economy. (The economy hasn't been uniformly bad, not even with this latest round. What it has been is extremely unsteady, with the bad spikes hitting deep, when they hit.)

However, what I have been short of is time to game, and the economy is the indirect, main cause of that. It affected how long it took for me to sell my house (and the effort to sell it). It affected my options to build my new one. And a bunch of other things too numerous to list. So the economy is taking a big bite out of my time, which has lessoned my gaming time--and thus lessoned even more my desire for any new gaming stuff--in a gaming market that was already not lighting my fires all that much.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted "No," but like many others, there's a caveat.

In my case, I've been pretty much able to buy what I wanted when I wanted. Since my game group was almost exclusively playing D&D and Chainmail/DDM, that made up the vast bulk of my purchasing. Other games I enjoyed I bought when WotC et alia weren't releasing something I needed at the moment.

But since I don't like 4Ed D&D and the recent DDM sculpts & general selection, I'm not purchasing much game product right now.

This has let me fill in the gaps of other game systems I enjoy, like HERO 5th supplements, the miniature version of the M&M 2Ed book, or even picking up various 3.X supplements on deep discount.

On the whole, though, while this has meant that I'm just not buying as much gaming material as I used to, that $$$ is going to other hobbies, like my jewelry designs or supporting my G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Does it affect what I spend on new material?

Without a doubt. The core books and Pyramid of Shadows were pretty much my only expenditures for the year (except for about 40 bucks in dice and prepainted minis). That's about all I have to spend for game related stuff this year. It's not the main reason why I didn't buy a DDI sub (those are listed in many other threads), but it did contribute. Even at the fairly low price for a subscription, in order for me to spend money on it or any other product right now, it has to be the absolute best product in quality, quantity and usability.

EDIT: Now, 15 years ago when I was a buck sergeant stationed in England, and making monthly pilgramages to Other Worlds in Cambridge, I could easily drop £200 a month. I'd pick up absolutely every new TSR product that came out at the time. Those days are long gone now.

Does it affect my gaming?

On the contrary, I'm finding that with people having less and less money to spend on going out, staying in and playing D&D is becoming the activity of choice (well, actually there is one other activity that is higher on the list of preferred activities:D). My games been on hold since August, but for reasons of scheduling and health issues rather than money. But since both are almost non-issues again, the game should be afoot once more within 2 or 3 weeks (and not a moment too soon, the poor PC's have been standing outside the door of the BBEGs' personal study for almost three months now, they're probably getting tired of waiting;)).

I'm looking forward to the next adventure (right after they deal with the current BBEG). I'm making my own this time, instead of running a module. It's based on the book The Judas Strain. The book is set in the modern day, but it connects back to Marco Polo. The plot of the book is perfect to drop into a Fantasy Medieval setting. Also the book was from the library, a resource that's getting more and more use from me with my restrictions on game purchases.

Since I'm not buying a sub, the only things I'm interested in is maybe trying to stear the wife towards Ari's Advanced Players Guide for Christmas, and hopefully a community supporter account for next year.

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Well I'm not playing 4e, and so I haven't purchased a WotC book for a while now. In theory you might expect my gaming costs to be lower as a result of that nice chunk of cash that saves me.

Except for a few things:

1) that Whitewolf hooked me on Changeling and most of the nWoD stuff, so I've just shifted my gaming $'s in that direction.

2) Catalyst is still getting my $ for Shadowrun, and I'd be spending more there except that they haven't put out as many books in the past year and a half.

3) I'd be throwing money at Paizo for Pathfinder etc, except that they've been totally awesome to me a ton of pdfs. Of course if I start to run a game set in Golarion, I'll be buying some physical books because they're easier to use at the table for DM'ing and handing around the players.

Quantarum

First Post
I'm worried about loosing my job, but I'm not sure how much difference the small amount I spend on gaming products would make if I were suddenly jobless.

-Q.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads