D&D 5E Is the imbalance between classes in 5e accidental or by design?

Which of these do you believe is closer to the truth?

• Any imbalance between the classes is accidental

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Any imbalance between the classes is on purpose

Votes: 49 43.0%

• Poll closed .
Right that’s the one that says Tasha’s laughter ending an encounter and hold person ending an encounter is worth less then a single spell denied from counterspell
this is a GREAT example of the system being unbalanced... Hold person only effects humanoid...but is higher level then action denial of tash'as that can work on a dragon, a giant ect both are wisdom saves...

edit: Trolls have a -1 wis save. assuming the wizard is 5th level and has a 16 Int that is DC 14 meaning 75% of the time they fall over laughing... Trolls have 84HP + regen... so that 1st level spell can shut them down.
A blue sladd has a -2 and is a few CR higher with 123hp

ECMO3

Hero
I think the designer intent is absolutely to deliver a reasonable, balanced, equitable game where everyone contributes meaningfully and no one has an inherent leg up nor needs special DM intervention.
I think this is a fundamentally different question. I think imbalance in class power and imbalance in play are two different things

Typically everyone contributes meaningfully in the games I play despite imbalance between the classes and the leg up certain classes have.

IME, imbalance in play and lack of contribution by some is due to players (or more rarely DMs). I have never seen it happen due to the the relative power levels between the classes players chose. Not a single time in 7 years of playing 5E. When it happens it is ALWAYS do to "bad" players or incompatible play styles between the players.

Last edited:

I think this is a fundamentally different question. I think imbalance in class power and imbalance in play are two different things

Typically everyone contributes meaningfully in the games I play despite imbalance between the classes and the leg up certain classes have.

IME, imbalance in play and lack of contribution by some is due to players (or more rarely DMs). I have never seen it happen due to the the relative power levels between the classes players chose. Not a single time in 7 years of playing 5E. When it happens it is ALWAYS do to "bad" players or incompatible play styles between the players.
That might be your experience, but it's very peculiar if so, and reeks of victim-blaming. I've seen 33 years of D&D at this point, and it's certainly not my experience.

It's absolutely a power-level issue in design, combining with how the design works.

I will say that in 5E, I haven't seen there be serious power-level issues in combat that don't relate to player skill/system mastery, but outside combat? Given equal levels of system mastery, Full casters tend to dominate over Martials and Half casters by a noticeable amount. The game still works, but the idea that it's a good thing or intentional in the "well-designed and carefully considered" sense seems laughable to me. Rather it's semi-intentional in that 5E is an "apology edition", and that apology wouldn't have worked if a certain kind of grog couldn't get an advantage through system mastery and picking Wizard. Wizard is basically a class that exists to allow people to exploit system mastery at this point. That's like, it's whole deal. It also attracts system masters like flies. So you get this "force multiplier" effect, where you have the person most system mastery consistently playing full casters, often Wizards, and full casters are the ones where system mastery has the most impact outside combat.

You say "everyone contributes meaningfully despite...", and you know what? That's usually true, because "contributes meaningfully" is a really low bar. But some people get to contribute tons more than others. And that's not a good thing. Yes, I can "just go run a different RPG", and right now, that's actually what I'm doing, I'm not running D&D in part because it rapidly becomes "Full casters do stuff whilst others stand around and discuss" out of combat (esp. after L5 or so). In combat again, weirdly fine.
Discussing anything else would be pointless.
Absolutely not.

That's not rational, logical, or reasonable sorry, but it isn't.

If we want to discuss purely "how the the designers originally, in 2014, saw class balance", then we can talk about that angle, but we can also say:

A) They were clearly wrong. The made bad and unrealistic assumptions that their own chart which you keep referring shows them up as being wrong on a very basic level.

B) We don't have to discuss real in-game balance solely they way they saw it, because their frame for balance was fundamentally bad and kind of dumb.

C) Personally, I don't actually trust that they stuck to their own frame. Their own charts suggest they didn't.

Damage (and hit points) are pretty much WotC's definition of balance. It's certainly the basis of their CR system.
Yea no. Here's why:
Which is only 1/3 of the game, as widely accepted. I would love to see a quote from WotC or JC et al saying that they have only consider balance to be relevant to combat. Pretty confident you will not find one.

Others have already posted that they believe the developers felt that balance was across all three tiers of gameplay, and that choices did not need to be balanced within a given tier. i.e. Bob might be more capable in exploration than John, but John might be better in combat.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
if you really want to do this I suggest you use a pre done adventure... if not it proves nothing becuse a pro wizard is over powered can easily make a day set to help them, a pro fighter is equal can do the same for fighter
Agreed.

People have repeatedly trotted out the "Batman Wizard" retort as though it were an unblockable retort, but it has an exact match in the "Joker DM": no matter how clever the player is, the DM can always force the outcome they want when they have full control over the adjudication. As you say, someone who believes wizards are overpowered can ensure that the party wizard will be overpowered, and likewise someone who believes fighters are equal (or even superior) can ensure they will be so. Particularly because 5e explicitly encourages some...controversial DM tactics, shall we say.

ECMO3

Hero
That might be your experience, but it's very peculiar if so, and reeks of victim-blaming. I've seen 33 years of D&D at this point, and it's certainly not my experience.
I don't think it is victim blaming. It is not usually the fault of the players being overshadowed, it is usually the fault of a overly dominant player personality who "does everything" and usually it has nothing to do with how good his character is. He might have an 8 charisma and no proficiency yet he is always the guy doing the talking and even interjects over other players.

That is how most players get overshadowed and have a bad time IME.

The other way, which is less prevalent, is a difference in playstyles. Not every game is the same, if the game is very combat focused and you built a skill monkey or conversely if you have 1 combat every 3 sessions and you built a maxed out GWM Fighter with max strength and con and a 2-level hexblade dip for shield and hexblades curse.

I play with one combat heavy group quite a bit, the first time I played with this group I built a 14 dex, 16 charisma, 16 wisdom Fey Wanderer-Rogue. This character was built for a balanced campaign but was definitely slanted towards social and exploration and she did both very well with fey wanderer and expertise she had a higher intimidation and deception than any other class combination could achieve at her level, while also having expertise in athletics, and regular proficiency in 7 other skills (2 half elf, 2 background, 4 rogue, 1 ranger, 1 fey wanderer). At 5th level she had a +12 deception and intimidation and a +9 persuasion while also having guidance. The original intent was to pick up scout for expertise in survival and nature. After a few sessions I realized the play style of this group did not suit what I originally wanted to do. Luckily because Ranger is so flexible I just stayed Rogue level 1 and pushed Ranger to get beguiling twist and summon Fey while picking up cause fear on shadow touched and bought a wand of fear. With beguiling twist this made the character a rock star in combat in a very unique and fun way. With a different, less felxible class I might not have been able to switch gears like that, but this would have been lacking due to the way the group plays, not the character I built.

I will say that in 5E, I haven't seen there be serious power-level issues in combat that don't relate to player skill/system mastery, but outside combat? Given equal levels of system mastery, Full casters tend to dominate over Martials and Half casters by a noticeable amount.

I don't see this. I think casters can do this, but I don't think they do in play for many reasons, one is limited spells known or prepared. The second reason is often the players don't choose who completes a challenge, they don't have the opportunity to powergame like this.

If we are trying to negotiate with Gnolls, only the player who thought to take gnoll as a language is going to be able to do it, and maybe if one of the Gnolls is an assassin then the Rogue could do it with thieves cant if no one knows Gnoll. Sure the wizard could have tongues prepared so he could cast it and follow it with friends and dominate the game regardless of language, but how many wizards have tongues prepared instead of counterspell, fear or the old faithful fireball. Not many in my experience unless they planned for this eventuality ahead of time.

Another example from play - my Arcane Trickster had a 14 charisma, expertise in deception and persuasion along with minor illusion (through race), friends and a raven familiar. She was designed to be a high social skill character. She spoke Sylvan, Infernal and Thieves cant. We ended up playing in a campaign where 80% of the of the social encounters were with giants (mostly hill giants). So she was not dominating the social play, our Rune Knight fighter with a low charisma an no proficiency handled almost all social encounters. She helped a lot with minor illusion, mimicry and doing things with her mage hand, but she was mostly giving advantage to his rolls.

The game still works, but the idea that it's a good thing or intentional in the "well-designed and carefully considered" sense seems laughable to me. Rather it's semi-intentional in that 5E is an "apology edition", and that apology wouldn't have worked if a certain kind of grog couldn't get an advantage through system mastery and picking Wizard.

I don't think so. I am a "grog" and I play more Rogues than any other class. I don't think that is unique either, wizards are not even close to being the most common classes in games I play (which include many experienced players) and they are not in the top based on metrics collected by DNDB either. I personally see Fighter, Rogue, Paladin, Warlock and Sorcerer more often than wizards.

Wizard is basically a class that exists to allow people to exploit system mastery at this point. That's like, it's whole deal. It also attracts system masters like flies. So you get this "force multiplier" effect, where you have the person most system mastery consistently playing full casters, often Wizards, and full casters are the ones where system mastery has the most impact outside combat.

Very few people have mastery of the rules and even moreso the statistics behind the mechanics then I do and I play more Rogues than Wizards. Wizards are my 2nd favorite class, but Ranger is a close third. Wizards are the only full caster I play regularly at all (excepting multiclass dips in sorcerer or Warlock).

Most of the time I am playing a wizard though I am not building the most powerful character I can, I am building around a cool and fun idea and usually I am multiclassing to make that idea fit and I think that is true for most players of both Wizards and other classes

But some people get to contribute tons more than others.
Yes but in my experience this is NEVER because of the class they are playing. One of the current Scout Rogues I am playing contributes more than anyone else at the table, including a divination wizard with expert knowledge of the rules and a Paladin and Warlock with all the social skills locked down. The reason is the 3 players other than me are all very introverted, and I am not.

I have tried to back away from this and be quiet but literally if I don't say what "we are ....." or if I don't say "I walk up and ..." then they will sit around the table and literally look at each other and look at me until I do say something. They won't even table talk about it or discuss options. If I lead and start an encounter they sometimes take over after I have kind of defined the path we are taking, but I overshadow them a lot because of player personality and those players do not like the spotlight to be on them when making decisions. They are fine using their character skills once we are on a path and it is obvious "I am going to use my portent on that" or the Paladin or Warlock jumps in and saves me from screwing up a negotiation because I was the only one who would start talking.

I am not only contributing the most with a weak subclass of a weak noncasting class, I am doing it with a 16 dexterity at 10th level too!

I think these kind of things are why there are play imbalances.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have no idea what you mean here. I think we are talking about judging useful things that happen during a combat that don't involve damage.
There is a chart in the DMG that describes the damage or helping expectations of a Spell by what Level it is. That's a window into the game math, which yes, balances how Tasha's Hideous Laughter or Counterspell equate to a Fighter hitting real hard.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Right that’s the one that says Tasha’s laughter ending an encounter and hold person ending an encounter is worth less then a single spell denied from counterspell
Yes, the same. That's how the game is balanced. Ignoring it sort of negates the entire conversation.

Remove ads