D&D 5E Is the new setting Icewind Dale?

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.13.09 PM.png

Add that to the image WotC put out with the upcoming announcement.

cold.png

And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear.

PO40195275-front2.png
/​

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
What’s the definition of a setting?

Feel free to play word games but FR is the setting, Icewind Dale is part of FR.

If you have to play word games to justify a position it's misleading IMHO.

If it is IWD that's fine, calling it a setting and/or new is dishonest.

If you're trying to justify those words you've already list the arguement.

It might be a good idea from a marketing PoV.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Feel free to play word games but FR is the setting, Icewind Dale is part of FR.

If you have to play word games to justify a position it's misleading IMHO.

If it is IWD that's fine, calling it a setting and/or new is dishonest.

If you're trying to justify those words you've already list the arguement.

It might be a good idea from a marketing PoV.
It was a simple question. You didn’t answer it.

Zardnaar

Legend
It was a simple question. You didn’t answer it.

The question doesn't matter. You're playing word games to justify it.

It's not how most people would use the term setting. It's a moot point until we know more anyway so the question is pointless.

It also feeds into the tendency online to warp the English language.

For arguements sake let's say you're right. It's still not new so it's still dishonest.

They used the word new as well. Not update, not new release.

Might not be IWD so either way right now it doesn't matter until we know more.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The question doesn't matter. You're playing word games to justify it.
I’m not trying to justify anything. If there’s an argument, it’s in your head. I think you might be imagining a conversation which isn’t happening.

I just asked what a setting was, to you. You seem to be exploding. Calm down, dude.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
From Oxford:

Noun: the place or type of surroundings where something is positioned or where an event takes place

I'll reiterate that writing "next setting" in that line means literally nothing without context (which there is none).
I took it myself as “the next location we’ll be diving into”. Clearly other people read it differently.

Zardnaar

Legend
I’m not trying to justify anything. If there’s an argument, it’s in your head. I think you might be imagining a conversation which isn’t happening.

I just asked what a setting was, to you. You seem to be exploding. Calm down, dude.

Well you've created 3 threads to hype it up. So either.

1. You're being paid to do it.

And/or

2. You're doing it to drive views/ clicks etc.

Note none of the above I have any issue with it's how the games played.

I did do some marketing papers at University so I get it. It doesn't bother me that much it's marketing/PR.

If it's is IWD and it's a new setting I put it in the same category of McDonald's marketing their food as part of a balanced diet.

As a previous poster mentioned though it gets tiring and perhaps counter productive for some. Their intent is to get people talking obviously but they do the same thing every release. Fatigue sets in.

Personally I just check out, wait and see what the release is then buy it or not. Lockdowns made getting stuff hard since I have ethical/moral concerns about Amazon.

I'll go looking for Theros this week, I'll wait and see what the new release is and kick that can down the street.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
From Oxford:

Noun: the place or type of surroundings where something is positioned or where an event takes place

I'll reiterate that writing "next setting" in that line means literally nothing without context (which there is none).

It is significant that they changed it for subsequent copy: but yeah, we lack the context to know what it signifies, whether they overplayed their hand or created false expectations.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well you've created 3 threads to hype it up. So either.

1. You're being paid to do it.

And/or

2. You're doing it to drive views/ clicks etc.
That’s enough, Zardnaar. I don’t know what bee has gotten in your bonnet, or why you’re so angry, but it’s nothing to do with me. Drop it.

Personally I just check out, wait and see what the release is then buy it or not.

That sounds like an excellent idea.

G

Guest 6801328

I think any attempt to define “setting” in a way that would satisfy the way people who insist IWD can’t be a new one is going to run into contradictions. Is it a continent? Planet? Cosmos? Demiplane?

If it’s possible to travel between two locations can they be different settings? Or is the necessary means of travel a factor? Physical distance?

Or is a “setting” just a franchise with its own distinct branding?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases