D&D 5E Is the new setting Icewind Dale?

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment. And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear. /

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.13.09 PM.png

Add that to the image WotC put out with the upcoming announcement.

cold.png

And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear.

PO40195275-front2.png
/​

Zardnaar

Legend
That’s enough, Zardnaar. I don’t know what bee has gotten in your bonnet, or why you’re so angry, but it’s nothing to do with me. Drop it.

That sounds like an excellent idea.

I'm not angry. New setting doesn't really apply to Icewind Dale that's it.

People can argue over the exact meaning of new setting that's on them. You're putting words in my mouth now.

Never claimed to be angry, and I'm not the one nitpicking over basic English.

G

Guest 6801328

I'm not angry. New setting doesn't really apply to Icewind Dale that's it.

People can argue over the exact meaning of new setting that's on them. You're putting words in my mouth now.

Never claimed to be angry, and I'm not the one nitpicking over basic English.

How can you make that claim without defining “setting.”? Are you under the illusion that we all agree with you, and therefore a definition isn’t needed?

Zardnaar

Legend
How can you make that claim without defining “setting.”? Are you under the illusion that we all agree with you, and therefore a definition isn’t needed?

It's an opinion. What context you use it on is on you. I'm not telling you want to think. You can believe whatever you like. I honestly don't care.

For me it barely counts as a setting, sure as hell isn't new. That's the context I'm using it in. See previous comment how you want to use it.

If it's not Icewind Dale it's moot so storm in teacup.

This is why I don't usually pay to much attention to what's coming out. All I need to know is what stuff is once it's confirmed.

IMG_20200126_151113.jpg

Then I'll get it or I won't.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've done no such thing. Frankly, I've barely said anything.

You claimed I was angry I'm not.

I explained the context I was using things in. Or where I was coming from.

I don't expect people to agree with that context nor do I care if they don't.

There's a tendency online though for the last decade to minimize or downplay someone's opinion/experience.

The other logic I've seen used recently is "well this is what plain English means now" which may or may not be true but don't be surprised if people disagree or don't understand you.

The old 3.0 FRCS for example is a setting IMHO, a book on the Silver Marches, Waterdeep or whatever is a splatbook for that setting.

Sure WotC can claim what they like but an Icewind Dale book isn't any different really from the old regional books from 2E and 3E.

If they're changing the terminology or using marketing talk but if they claim a new setting that's going to raise a different set of expectations than a new region book.

This is basic marketing 101. Can come across as a bait and switch ymmv of course.

If they're using a new setting language the expectation would be for something that's not an existing setting.

Sure you can claim that's on us for that expectation. But they must be aware of that as well, if not there's something wrong.

If I can figure that out they should be able to. I'm sure it's deliberate.

If it is a new setting that's great IMHO even if it's not really my thing.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If anything, I think that there's going to be a new adventure (that's pretty much certain), and that Icewind Dale will be the setting for that adventure. Will there be a new campaign setting (other than Theros)? I'm not conviced (at least not yet—it's fairly inevitable that there will be a new setting released at some point, and by "new" I mean one that hasn't been published for 5e).

Remove ads

Remove ads