D&D 5E Is the new setting Icewind Dale?

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment. And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear. /

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.13.09 PM.png

Add that to the image WotC put out with the upcoming announcement.

cold.png

And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear.

PO40195275-front2.png
/​

If anything, I think that there's going to be a new adventure (that's pretty much certain), and that Icewind Dale will be the setting for that adventure. Will there be a new campaign setting (other than Theros)? I'm not conviced (at least not yet—it's fairly inevitable that there will be a new setting released at some point, and by "new" I mean one that hasn't been published for 5e).

IWD is one of the flavours of the FR I love the most and I'll be happy if there will be an adventure path located there. I only hope that the lore part will be generous and with more than a simple refresh of what published in Legacy of the Crystal Shard. But... i'm the only one to consider the next editorial line wonderful? i'm in love with murder in baldur's gate and legacy otcs...

Aldarc

Legend
I do think that when most people discuss "settings" in TTRPG discourse, particularly D&D, they typically use it to mean "worlds" rather than "regions" of the same world or a more general sense of where the adventure happens.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I do think that when most people discuss "settings" in TTRPG discourse, particularly D&D, they typically use it to mean "worlds" rather than "regions" of the same world or a more general sense of where the adventure happens.
My only question is whether or not the new “setting” will be in Forgotten Realms. If it is, it’s not a new setting.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised...but have my doubts.

that word “setting” has certainly got the fan base listening!

NiClerigo

Adventurer
Adding fuel to the speculation, Icewind Dale enhanced edition is currently 50% off on Steam will said editions of Torment and Baldur’s Gate games are not...

I was definitely not expecting Icewind Dale. It wasn't on my mental checklist whatsoever. In retrospect it's obvious -- one of D&D's most iconic locations.

If IWD is the setting for a mind flayer storyline, a crashed nautiloid frozen in the ice is a clear (and very cool) homage to THE THING. It's also a great jumping off point to a Spelljammer/Planescape adventure. Or perhaps intellect devourers infiltrate the population and turn the Ten Towns against each other. Or both!

I could also see IWD being a good location for a drow invasion storyline.

Lots of possibilities...

Remove ads

Remove ads