Is The One Ring 2E Kickstarter going to break the records?

At over $140K in the first half hour and shooting quickly past the $200K mark before the first hour was up, the numbers on Free League's Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of The One Ring are whizzing up faster than the eye can see! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/the-one-ring-roleplaying-game-second-edition? The record for a TTRPG Kickstarter is Matt Colville, at over $2M for...

At over $140K in the first half hour and shooting quickly past the $200K mark before the first hour was up, the numbers on Free League's Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of The One Ring are whizzing up faster than the eye can see!

d50bd7eebed917d3a7580064ed3758c7_original.jpg

The record for a TTRPG Kickstarter is Matt Colville, at over $2M for his Strongholds & Followers project (and a followup $1.3M campaign). The next highest was John Wick's 7th Sea at about $1.2M.

There were over 6,000 people who were following the pre-launch page for this Kickstarter, which runs for three weeks.

Crusadius

Adventurer
You can use the Feat dice as is, just read "11" as "1" when you roll.

But I too will get replacement dice with my Ruins of the Lost Realm order.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Almost one year to the day since I pledged, and I've received my copy of the game. I pledged at the SEK 798 tier (about $97), which meant that I paid to get all this stuff:

View attachment 152054
(Plus all of the unlocked digital content and stretch goals.) The double-sided map is beautiful. I've only barely thumbed through the books, but I have to say: the quality of the artwork is impeccable. Probably the best that I've ever seen in a tabletop RPG, and I've seen lots.

Last month, they sent me an e-mail to let me know that there was a quality issue with the custom "feat dice" that were shipped with the Starter Set. Rather than delay the shipping even further because of the misprint, they shipped them as-is and will send error-free reprints to all backers at no extra cost (or a personal voucher for SEK 100 in the Free League webshop, if we prefer.)

My misprinted dice were pretty minor: all of them looked fine except for one of the d12s. On that particular die, one of the frames around one of the numbers was off-center and didn't fit on the face:
View attachment 152057
My set of black "Sauronic" dice were fine. I think I can probably live with this minor misprint, so I'll likely take that webstore credit (SEK 100 ~ 11 USD) if they've got some sweet adventure sor something.

Anyway. I'm gonna give it a good once-over with my wife tonight, get a feel for the new rules and the new system. It was a bummer having to wait a solid year for a game, but I'm really pleased so far.

I own many Free League products, but I didn't back this one. But it's crazy how beautiful and of high quality their print and products are. They are, in my opinion, well beyond the rest of the industry. Whenever I stop at my local store and compare books to books, the quality of the prints, paper, artwork, bind, etc; it becomes pretty evident.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Mine finally arrived today... Woo-hoo!
I've never had anything from Free League before, and I'm impressed. Aside from the dice misprints, it's definitely a good-looking game. Really looking forward to taking a closer look in the next week.

Mine arrived Thursday. Great product. I really like how the starter set basically gives you a Shire mini-campaign, and one that showcases how you can built great adventures that don't involve killing things and taking their stuff (though in the case of Bilbo it's still "taking their stuff").

The book is fantastic quality. Looking forward to seeing what else they produce. I have all the 1E TOR stuff, so I'm hoping for more expansion than duplication. I really want the promised Moria product ...

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Mine arrived Thursday. Great product. I really like how the starter set basically gives you a Shire mini-campaign, and one that showcases how you can built great adventures that don't involve killing things and taking their stuff (though in the case of Bilbo it's still "taking their stuff").
Coming soon to my gaming group...

t86v4r69xrby.jpg

(credit to Adam Ellis, whose work always makes me chuckle)

Could you summarise the gist of the mini-campaign? What challenges are the PCs supposed to face?

Remove ads

Remove ads