Is The One Ring 2E Kickstarter going to break the records?

At over $140K in the first half hour and shooting quickly past the $200K mark before the first hour was up, the numbers on Free League's Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of The One Ring are whizzing up faster than the eye can see! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/the-one-ring-roleplaying-game-second-edition? The record for a TTRPG Kickstarter is Matt Colville, at over $2M for...

At over $140K in the first half hour and shooting quickly past the $200K mark before the first hour was up, the numbers on Free League's Kickstarter for the 2nd Edition of The One Ring are whizzing up faster than the eye can see!

d50bd7eebed917d3a7580064ed3758c7_original.jpg

The record for a TTRPG Kickstarter is Matt Colville, at over $2M for his Strongholds & Followers project (and a followup $1.3M campaign). The next highest was John Wick's 7th Sea at about $1.2M.

There were over 6,000 people who were following the pre-launch page for this Kickstarter, which runs for three weeks.

Saxon1974

Explorer
I'm in for the core rules and starter set. The shire in the starter being lighter of theme is perfect for me to run my boys through it. I am still a bit unsure if the new core book will replace the 1e book that I have or can just be additional information and rules changes.i assume if it's intended to be a new edition it should include all original rules plus new. Maybe I can sell my 1e book but keep the adventures that they say will be compatible.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Just backed at the 201 USD level (144+ Screen and stretch goal rulebook addons), for that sweet sweet collector's edition book. Beautiful.

I love this and am so glad to help push the stretch goals further and show our early love and backing of this edition.

I missed out on 1e TOR, but got all the AiME books and loved them.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
I’ve played AIME but never One Ring. Is it a good system? Any recommendations based on the first edition?

I played MERP believe it or not many many years ago after getting their boxed set as a Xmas present back in the last century.

After all our discussions about trying new systems I thought maybe I should branch out a bit!
I've run three campaigns of it 1E

It's a very solid engine, but a lot of people piss-and-moan because it's not D&D in Middle Earth. It does evoke a lot of Tolkien feel while allowing for a number of different styles of play.

TOR came out just a bit before D&D 5e and foreshadowed or pioneered a few modern game-design elements (or codified some that already existed informally). But mostly, it presented a medieval-fantasy system that was (at the time) refreshingly magic-free and yet allowed for a very magical world. In short, it achieved that elusive and whimsical Tolkien "feel" many LotR fans had been looking for.
It is anything but "magic-free." Dwarves and Elves both have actual spells, few but potent; most of the "Rewards" are essentially minor magic items, and many of the Virtues are essentially magic as well, with the spell ones being unquestionaly magic, since they grant spells.

It's free of D&D-style magic, and very low on the player casters, but it has a lot of low-power magics, and few (but classc) spells for the bigger magic.

As much as I enjoyed MERP and the setting books for it, I never liked that time period because it felt meaningless.

But regarding rights to the different time periods, there is obviously a willingness to do other licenses, or the Amazon Prime Middle-Earth series set in the 2nd Age would not be happening.
The Estate has been, until recently, seemingly opposed to games, they own everything BUT LOTR and The Hobbit; Middle Earth Enterprises aka Saul Zaentz Co owns LotR and the Hobbit. MEE licenses heavly and in most media...
Alien didn't have a Kickstarter.
Yes, it did. That's how I got my copy. And I'm glad I did.
They actually didn’t fight for an extension recently, though I don’t recall what character exactly it was that is/will soon be public domain as a result.

But we can bet they will when Mickey himself or another high profile name comes up.
The character in question is Mortimer "Mickey" Mouse, from his first appearance in Steamboat Willy. They're likely to make the issue in a few more years, when it becomes relevant again.

Laurefindel

Legend
It is anything but "magic-free." Dwarves and Elves both have actual spells, few but potent; most of the "Rewards" are essentially minor magic items, and many of the Virtues are essentially magic as well, with the spell ones being unquestionaly magic, since they grant spells.

It's free of D&D-style magic, and very low on the player casters, but it has a lot of low-power magics, and few (but classc) spells for the bigger magic.
yes, I know the system very well, but between the fragments of broken spells and the magic of most medieval fantasy rpg at the time (and today), it was remarkably low character-driven magic in a yet deeply magical world. As I said, refreshingly so.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I've run three campaigns of it 1E

It's a very solid engine, but a lot of people piss-and-moan because it's not D&D in Middle Earth. It does evoke a lot of Tolkien feel while allowing for a number of different styles of play.

The Estate has been, until recently, seemingly opposed to games, they own everything BUT LOTR and The Hobbit; Middle Earth Enterprises aka Saul Zaentz Co owns LotR and the Hobbit. MEE licenses heavly and in most media...

The character in question is Mortimer "Mickey" Mouse, from his first appearance in Steamboat Willy. They're likely to make the issue in a few more years, when it becomes relevant again.
Alien had a pre-order, like they are doing with the Colonial Marines book and how they are handling the second Coriolis adventure book and the Symbaroum Starter Kit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think it did. I don't remember one, and there isn't one listed on Free League's Kickstarter page.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads