• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a better thought out book than Savage Species?

Ovistavin

First Post
Moonstone Spider said:
Savage Species Pixies lose quite a few of those abilities. For instance they have no DR anymore...
Savage Species is one of the two 3.25 books. It came out shortly before 3.5 and not all of the changes made it into the book. So when looking at the monster classes you have to check it against the 3.5 MM and make adjustments.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
To the original poster: the honest answer, it seems is "no," and you have stumbled onto one of my major pet peeves with the current rules!

There are a couple of PDFs out there that can start you in the right direction: Beast Builder and Character Customization if I remember the names correctly.

The problem I see is that the systems used to make monsters in 3.X D&D has (virtually) nothing to do with the one used for characters. They follow the same rules of hit dice giving BAB, skills and feats, but the need to create creatures with large numbers of hit points gives some...odd...results when you try and apply levels in a monster "class."

The whole 1 level of an adventuring class = 1 CR = ...I have no idea...for monsters is the problem to my mind. The person who solves this riddle will have themselves the design of choice for the next edition.

I have no doubt that in 4th edition 1 level of a character class will equal 1 CR as a monster. As an example, an ogre, a CR3 creature will likely find itself being a level three Giant in the next edition of the rules.

So I guess I hear what you're saying, but there just isn't too much out there at the moment to help you out.

--Steve

You could do it like associated and nonassociated class levels, where for nonassociated levels (basically all casters) you get 2 levels for 1, until caster level equals hit dice.

Savage Species is INTENTIONALLY poorly designed. The designers came out and said they made the monsters inferior to regular PC's on purpose as a meta-game way to discourage their use. That should really be the realm of the DM, IMO. In theory, wizards and sorcerers are more rare than fighters and rogues. So should wizards and sorcerers be powered down to the point of uselessness?

Rystil Arden

First Post
The whole 1 level of an adventuring class = 1 CR = ...I have no idea...for monsters is the problem to my mind. The person who solves this riddle will have themselves the design of choice for the next edition.

I have no doubt that in 4th edition 1 level of a character class will equal 1 CR as a monster. As an example, an ogre, a CR3 creature will likely find itself being a level three Giant in the next edition of the rules.

I can honestly say that so long as the game has limited resources, including X/day abilities, spell slots, and charged items, this will never be true, due to the differences between what At Will means for a player and for an enemy encounter.

Remove ads