D&D General Is there a D&D setting that actually works how it would with access to D&D magic?

Voadam

Legend
I don't think Nentir Vale is a good example because it's a pretty generic setting that could work with any fantasy game. The only things it really takes into account is the existence of Dragonborn and Tieflings along with the other PHB races at the time. It might take ritual use into account, but it's not like it has NPC's that are specifically members of a character class (since NPC's in 4e are designed completely differently than PC's).
NPCs can vary in 4e. Full on statblocks are most often idiosyncratic monster math and full monster role ones, but there are plenty of monsters designed on class concepts and NPCs described as classed individuals.

In H1 Keep on the Shadowfell on page 9 for instance: "Lord Padraig: From time to time, the town’s lord (level 3 human warlord) visits Wrafton’s. All those present doff their hats and call him Lord, after which he retreats to a corner table and sips beer."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Here is where I asked where you got these numbers. Someone else pointed out Shining South in 3e for Halruaa numbers, but I was looking and have not found anything in Thay specifically or FR in general or D&D in general (which is the thread topic).
I lost sight of this thread, so answering late. I absolutely would not use the Halruaa numbers for Thay. Thay has a higher concentration of wizards than most places, but it still has Tharchions(governors) that aren't wizards and as a Magocracy, Thay would easily be able to fill all positions of power with wizards if they had Halruaan numbers.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I mean, it's been awhile since I read anything about Thay, but didn't they used to? They were ruled by the Zulkirs until Zzass Tam took over, and Red Wizard adversaries were a dime a dozen in the Realms at one point.

James Gasik

Supporter
NPCs can vary in 4e. Full on statblocks are most often idiosyncratic monster math and full monster role ones, but there are plenty of monsters designed on class concepts and NPCs described as classed individuals.

In H1 Keep on the Shadowfell on page 9 for instance: "Lord Padraig: From time to time, the town’s lord (level 3 human warlord) visits Wrafton’s. All those present doff their hats and call him Lord, after which he retreats to a corner table and sips beer."
Yeah I just mentioned that as pointing out that Nentir Vale functions without taking the abilities of players into account, it's not like we have to extrapolate how the magic system would affect the Vale quite the same way as other settings, where we have to wonder about the ramifications of a spell like, oh, I don't know, how about Fabricate on society.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I mean, it's been awhile since I read anything about Thay, but didn't they used to? They were ruled by the Zulkirs until Zzass Tam took over, and Red Wizard adversaries were a dime a dozen in the Realms at one point.
The Zulkirs were all wizards and rules Thay. Under the Zulkirs were the Tharchions which were the local governors. Some of those were not wizards. All of them would have been had the wizards in Thay been anywhere near as numerous as Halruaa.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah I just mentioned that as pointing out that Nentir Vale functions without taking the abilities of players into account, it's not like we have to extrapolate how the magic system would affect the Vale quite the same way as other settings, where we have to wonder about the ramifications of a spell like, oh, I don't know, how about Fabricate on society.
Right. All the big world changing effects are basically gone or gated behind massive gold expenditure. PCs can drop fireballs on the regular, but they can’t wish for things once a day as an action.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Right. All the big world changing effects are basically gone or gated behind massive gold expenditure. PCs can drop fireballs on the regular, but they can’t wish for things once a day as an action.
I do think the setting sometimes underplays how much rituals would impact society, but I'm okay with it since it's a region that is still rebuilding from a massive collapse of an empire that did use such things more regularly.

James Gasik

Supporter
There's nothing wrong with Nentir Vale, I'm just saying, 4e lacked the inherent problems of "well wait, if the Mayor/Chamberlain/Duke/Grand Poobah is a Level Higher than Us +X who has access to random powerful effect that can instantly solve the problem, what does he/she/it need us for?", as well as "if random powerful effect Y exists, how is there poverty/crime/world peace/castles as viable defensive structures"?

Remove ads