Is there a DM Obligation for PC Abilities?

What is the DM's obligation to the forgetful player who doesn't remember the PC's abilities?

• 1. DM should remind the player when the ability is useful during the game.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • 2. DM can hint, but not tell the player, during the game.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 3. DM should remind the player between sessions, but not during the game.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 4. DM has no obligation to remind the player.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • 5. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • 6. A DM can try anything, but only the player can listen.

Votes: 24 27.0%

• Poll closed .
I would say no. The exception is where player knowledge knowledge is inferior to PC knowledge; for example where the party encounters something the players are utterly unfamiliar with (generally due to setting), but some or all their PCs would immediately understand.

Kurotowa

Legend
So let's sketch a hypothetical. The party leveled up two weeks ago and Joe's PC got a new ability that's a little specialized and hasn't come up in play yet. Then the situation where it applies arrives and Joe doesn't recall he's got an answer for it, but I do. What do I do?

If I'm a player at the table, you can better believe I'll say to Joe "Hey, didn't you get a new ability to use for this?" We're friends, I want Joe to get his moment to shine, and forgetting about a new and unused ability can happen to any of us. Saying nothing would be a dick move.

Now with that established let's turn it around. If I'm the DM instead of a fellow player, do I have a reason NOT to say that to Joe? Well... maybe I do. As the DM I'm supposed to pose challenges to the players and let them come up with the solutions. If I offer up the solutions to them I'm cheating them out of the fun of the game. So maybe I don't offer the reminder immediately. If they do something else right away, fine. If they don't, then I can ask Joe for a DC 5 Int check to win a reminder that he just learned a new trick. Making him roll for it means it feels less like the DM coaching the players and more like the character recovering from a moment of forgetfulness. And of course, as others have said, if Joe's a new player he gets a lot more free reminders about how the game works.

Last edited:

cmad1977

Hero
So let's sketch a hypothetical. The party leveled up two weeks ago and Joe's PC got a new ability that's a little specialized and hasn't come up in play yet. Then the situation where it applies arrives and Joe doesn't recall he's got an answer for it, but I do. What do I do?

If I'm a player at the table, you can better believe I'll say to Joe "Hey, didn't you get a new ability to use for this?" We're friends, I want Joe to get his moment to shine, and forgetting about a new and unused ability can happen to any of us. Saying nothing would be a dick move.

Now with that established let's turn it around. If I'm the DM instead of a fellow player, do I have a reason NOT to say that to Joe? Well... maybe I do. As the DM I'm supposed to pose challenges to the players and let them come up with the solutions. If I offer up the solutions to them I'm cheating them out of the fun of the game. So maybe I don't offer the reminder immediately. If they do something else right away, fine. If they don't, then I can ask Joe for a DC 5 Int check to win a reminder that he just learned a new trick. Making him roll for it means it feels less like the DM coaching the players and more like the character recovering from a moment of forgetfulness. And of course, as others have said, if Joe's a new player he gets a lot more free reminders about how the game works.

As a DM I absolutely remind the player of things that their CHARACTER WOULD ABSOLUTELY KNOW!

A couple times anyways, then it’s not on me and I have other things to worry about.

Remove ads