• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is there a handy table for average damage?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know I can calculate this myself, but it would make my life easier if there was such a table.

I'm referring to when a monster's stat block or similar says X (YdZ+W) damage. So if I know I need in the region of 17 average damage, or 35 average damage, or whatever, I can just lo9k at the table and see what's closest.

I figured someone on the internet must have made one but my google fu is weak. I'd like to make a little web app to do it, if I can find somebody who's done the tedious work first.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For which edition? In 5e all monsters already list the average damage before indicating the dice to roll.
For 5E... but maths is maths. The average of 3d10+6 isn't different in a different system!

Yes I know they do. This is for when I'm making new stuff.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
For 5E... but maths is maths. The average of 3d10+6 isn't different in a different system!

Yes I know they do. This is for when I'm making new stuff.

Yes, the average is always the same for a given set of dice. Each N-sided dice has an average of (N/2 + 0.5), so - for example - 3d10 + 6, have an average of 24.5. Probably, I'm not actually understating the question, though.

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
I use anydice.com, but a table would be useful indeed. If it doesn't exist yet maybe I'll compile one, post on my blog and share it here

ezo

Where is that Singe?
I just made this up in case it fits the bill. Number of Dice are yellow, die type is along the top, and modifier to the total is along the left side. It is also colour-coded by result range.

Here is an image of the attached pdf. Hope it helps.
1716730788023.png

EDIT: I've attached the excel file with inputs available.

1716732060230.png

Attachments

• dice_rolls.pdf
    254.7 KB · Views: 16
  • dice_rolls.xlsx
    21.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads