• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is there a handy table for average damage?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Yes, the average is always the same for a given set of dice. Each N-sided dice has an average of (N/2 + 0.5), so - for example - 3d10 + 6, have an average of 24.5. Probably, I'm not actually understating the question, though.
Of one could input the above formula into a spreadsheet and replace N with a cell reference, use that to generate the averages for all the dice.

I know I can calculate this myself, but it would make my life easier if there was such a table.

I'm referring to when a monster's stat block or similar says X (YdZ+W) damage. So if I know I need in the region of 17 average damage, or 35 average damage, or whatever, I can just lo9k at the table and see what's closest.

I figured someone on the internet must have made one but my google fu is weak. I'd like to make a little web app to do it, if I can find somebody who's done the tedious work first.
Then use the base average damage for each dice to generate tables or divide the target number by the expected damage for a die or subtract the bonus and divide the remainder by the average damage.

ezo

Where is that Singe?
Here is the table from FoF:

1716732849810.png

ezo

Where is that Singe?
Now that is very, very cool. Thank you!
LOL NP. I whipped it up while watching TV this morning. Glad you like it and I hope it helps.

I thought of color-coding the damage ranges since you can achieve the same value obviously using different number of different dice, etc.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
[Average damage] - 7 = X. Then roll 2d6 + X. This gives you a high modifier, low variable amount damage which smooths things out and makes damage more consistent.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So, just a table that lists, for example, 1d6: 3, 2d6: 7, 3d6: 10, ..., 2d8: 9, etc.?
No, a table that lists
3: 1d6, 1d4+1
4: 1d8, 1d6+1, 1d4+2
5: 1d10, 1d8+1, 1d6+2, 1d4+3, 2d4
etc…

The idea is not to figure out the average damage of a given dice code, but to quickly figure out what dice code(s) to use to get the average damage you want a monster’s attack to deal.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
No, a table that lists
3: 1d6, 1d4+1
4: 1d8, 1d6+1, 1d4+2
5: 1d10, 1d8+1, 1d6+2, 1d4+3, 2d4
etc…

The idea is not to figure out the average damage of a given dice code, but to quickly figure out what dice code(s) to use to get the average damage you want a monster’s attack to deal.
OK, that makes more sense.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads