Is there a point to the Quick Draw feat?

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Is there really even a reason to take the Quick Draw feat except to qualify for PrCs? According to the rules as written, if a PC's BAB is +1 or higher drawing is a free action when combined with a move action. Basically that means it is basically still a free action for every 1st level warrior and every other class after that. All I can think of is that first round of combat a Fighter would be able to take a Full Attack action if an enemy were in 5' range since he didn't have to use a Move action. If they aren't within 5' then Quick Draw is pretty useless since the Fighter will lose the Full Attack option and will have to settle for a Standard Attack to have a move action to engage. Seems pretty useless to me which I guess justifies how easy it is to get the feat. Anyone else have a situation where it came in handy where drawing a weapon as part of a move action wouldn't have worked just as well?

VirgilCaine

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
Is there really even a reason to take the Quick Draw feat except to qualify for PrCs? According to the rules as written, if a PC's BAB is +1 or higher drawing is a free action when combined with a move action. Basically that means it is basically still a free action for every 1st level warrior and every other class after that. All I can think of is that first round of combat a Fighter would be able to take a Full Attack action if an enemy were in 5' range since he didn't have to use a Move action. If they aren't within 5' then Quick Draw is pretty useless since the Fighter will lose the Full Attack option and will have to settle for a Standard Attack to have a move action to engage. Seems pretty useless to me which I guess justifies how easy it is to get the feat. Anyone else have a situation where it came in handy where drawing a weapon as part of a move action wouldn't have worked just as well?

Sometimes you aren't going to be making a move action, and you still want to be armed. It's not a free action--it is an advantage that the two can be combined, but that doesn't mean drawing a weapon is a free action.

Or, in your example--the Fighter wants to attack the party's traitorous guide that just yelled to the bandits to attack.

Numion

First Post
Two-weapons fighters will want to use it to hold one weapons in two hands (to get more damage) when making a charge, then still being able to make full attack with both weapons drawn the next round.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Well, assuming "style, baby!" is not sufficient... :)

11th level Fighter is fighting a lycanthrope/skeletal warrior/ooze and wants to change to his alternate weapon. With quick draw, he does this and triples his attacks for that round.

Alternately, a fighter has JUST used two of his melee attacks to down his opponent and has a third attack coming. the only opponent is at range. He can (A) waste it, because he's already full attacking, or (B) free action draw a ranged thrown weapon and fire it off.

It's a good feat - especially for higher-level melee-types with multiple attacks. It's like weapon focus, but in reverse - weapon focus is more useful at lower levels than at higher ones.

Or rogues throwing a volley of daggers, or a ranger with a volley of hatchets...

Or a backup weapon for a fighter who prefers to use a reach weapon - or a bow for that matter.

Remember, drawing a weapon as part of a move action means you can't take a full-attack action.

DonAdam said:
Don't forget clerics. They often need a hand free to cast, and if they use a shield that can be a big pain.

nsruf

First Post
The character's I have seen get the most out of quick draw are definitely archers. During that first round of combat, when groups are still mostly separated and the line of fire is clear, always getting a full attack is quite good. Especially at point-blank range, with rapid shot and flat-footed opponents. Also, once the archer gets engaged in melee, he can start full-attacking with his melee weapon right away.

You are right that quickdraw isn't so useful for a tank.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Most useful for archers, rogues (who like to shoot in the first round for sneak attack, then Quick Draw, Tumble and Flank after that) and two weapon fighters.

Remove ads