• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a point to the Quick Draw feat?

buzz

Adventurer
Anecdotal: I've been playing a Bbn/Ftr for over a year now in one campaign, and the main feat I continually find myself thinking I ought to take is Quick Draw. Spending Move actions to get your weapons out is just too big a waste of time. :)

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Tallarn said:
Most useful for archers, rogues (who like to shoot in the first round for sneak attack, then Quick Draw, Tumble and Flank after that) and two weapon fighters.

You can do that anyway without the feat. Drawing a weapon is a free action when combined with a move action. Your tumble is your move action so you can draw your weapon while tumbling as a free action and still flank. It is the ability to make drawing a weapon a free action when combined with a move action that makes Quick Draw kind of unneeded.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Henry said:
Well, assuming "style, baby!" is not sufficient... :)
Alternately, a fighter has JUST used two of his melee attacks to down his opponent and has a third attack coming. the only opponent is at range. He can (A) waste it, because he's already full attacking, or (B) free action draw a ranged thrown weapon and fire it off.

That sounds like the best reason so far!

apsuman

First Post
Two things:

1. A thrown dagger type. Fighter or rogue. Throw, draw, throw draw, throw draw... This is a really good feat for any halfling combat type.

2. Given the fighters get loads of feats, having quick draw would allow a vialbe fighting option for the fighter that gets his primary weapon, disarmed, sundered, greased, stuck, or destroyed by things in the game that do those sorts of things.

Last edited:

Hardhead

Explorer
I had a rogue that used this trick a lot: you have someone you want to kill, like a guard, before they can yell for help. So, you walk up to them with out a weapon in your hand, and them not suspecting anything. And then, BAM! Draw your weapon and full-round attack them while they're still flat-footed. Loads of SA damage that'll kill any mook.

Storminator

First Post
It's great when fighting a disarming foe. You're locked in close assault, trading full attacks, and he disarms you. With the feat, you quickdraw your second weapon and full attack him back. Without it you either draw your 2nd weapon and attack, or pick up your primary weapon and attack. Neither option gives you the full attack.

Also, if you get a surprise round and don't have a weapon drawn, you can quickdraw and attack. Without the feat, you can punch somebody. It's also great for that moment when witty banter switches to swordplay.

Any high level fighter should have it.

PS

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Storminator said:
It's great when fighting a disarming foe. You're locked in close assault, trading full attacks, and he disarms you. With the feat, you quickdraw your second weapon and full attack him back. Without it you either draw your 2nd weapon and attack, or pick up your primary weapon and attack. Neither option gives you the full attack.

Also, if you get a surprise round and don't have a weapon drawn, you can quickdraw and attack. Without the feat, you can punch somebody. It's also great for that moment when witty banter switches to swordplay.

Any high level fighter should have it.

PS

Didn't think about that. I've never had a DM that really used disarm all that much.

Hardhead said:
I had a rogue that used this trick a lot: you have someone you want to kill, like a guard, before they can yell for help. So, you walk up to them with out a weapon in your hand, and them not suspecting anything. And then, BAM! Draw your weapon and full-round attack them while they're still flat-footed. Loads of SA damage that'll kill any mook.

Of course, since you surprise the guard, you only get a partial action. If you beat the guard's initiative on the first real round of combat, THEN you can full-sneak attack him.

AR

Hardhead

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
Of course, since you surprise the guard, you only get a partial action. If you beat the guard's initiative on the first real round of combat, THEN you can full-sneak attack him.

AR

Of course. Which is why you also want Improved Initiative

Remove ads