• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is there a point to the Quick Draw feat?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
takyris said:
Hypersmurf: Bummer. You just confirmed what I suspected. I was searching EVERYWHERE for the feat that would let me relaod a sling as a free action.

You could probably talk a DM around with "When they cut'n'pasted Rapid Reload from Sword and Fist, they forgot that slings are now a Move action to reload"...

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ranger REG said:
It should be under the Shuriken description:

He has a point, in that it's badly phrased - Shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purpose of drawing, but it doesn't explicitly state that all ammunition can be drawn as a free action.

The only ammunition it does state that for is arrows, and those are couched in the conditional "If you're using a bow".

It's horribly written. What they were trying to say is "ammunition can be drawn as a free action; however, loading a crossbow or sling still requires an action." (Otherwise loading a crossbow would require two actions - one to draw the quarrel from the case, and one to actually load the crossbow; and saying that shuriken are treated as ammunition 'for the purpose of drawing' would be incredibly pointless.)

So there are three possible readings:

1. All ammunition can be drawn as a free action, though reloading a crossbow or sling takes longer.
2. Only arrows may be drawn as a free action, when using a bow.
3. Arrows or shuriken may be drawn as a free action, when using a bow.

1 requires a little bit of inference. 2 has further-reaching implications (like doubling the time to reload a light crossbow or sling). 3 is silly.

To the best of my knowledge, 1 is the intended interpretation.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads