Is there errata for the Nightmare spell PHB p.232

Starfox

Hero
Galfridus said:
I don't think the spell is uber, but having used repeatedly like this would definitely put "take out the lich" at the top of my to-do list. As others have pointed out, since you know who he is, Scry him, Teleport in, kick ass. Ideally, wait for him to be in a Nightmare-casting-trance, so you can kill him quickly and easily.
Actually, it sounds as if your DM is trying to provoke you into REALLY hating that lich, setting him up as a nemesis. That is fine, but might end up killing you if you can't replenish your spells.

A good DM can pull this off and make it an interesting plot. A poor DM might bungler it and end up with a dead party. Just hold your thumbs and stick in there.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Glad to see the unpleasantness around here got straightened out. And that somebody mentioned the ring of sustenance.

Also, I notice that if you're a 6th-ish level caster and basically only have the spells automatically gained for going up levels, you're more magic-poor than what the system was tuned for. Certainly, if you were getting reasonably ready opportunity to buy at least the lower-level scrolls, and average treasure shares being something like 900 gp per encounter (I forget exactly), it shouldn't be too hard to acquire the rope trick. But those economic assumptions might not apply in your DM's game.

Treasure wise we are not too bad. Just very few opportunities to learn new spells.

Since each spell takes 1 day to learn and then 1 day plus one day per level of the spell to scribe I have a problem. No one else in the party ever wants to rest in town for a week or two. They are always looking to head out the next day.

So our total rest time since we began gaming of little more than two weeks has given me very little chance to even scribe many of the spells I found in one spellbook I have recovered.

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
Maybe you need to convince your DM to give the rest of the party some incentive to rest for a week or so. The best incentive I can think of is making PCs "train" for a week to gain all the benefits of their new level...

As for Nightmare being "uber"...I think the first criteria for a spell being seriously broken is that it is a spell very few players feels his PC can do without and must have ASAP. Shield and Haste are two potential candidates in this regard. Most sorcerer/bard/wizard players aren't sitting around saying "Nightmare is the first 5th level spell I'm going to take!"

It is a useful spell in particular situations(especially if you are a lich hidden in a dungeon full of your minions). But in the everyday life of an adventurer, useful is not an adjective I would apply to it. 5th level seems just about right for this one.

Edit: Also...it could be far worse for you...you're in his home. He could just teleport to you cast feeblemind on you(and maybe dominate) teleport away. Then you'd NEVER be able to cast spells(or use wands or scrolls). Do you have a 11th level Cleric in your party? If not, you're screwed.

A lich(or any high level spell caster) is nothing to trifle with in his own home....

Last edited:

Assuming that I level about as often as the rest of the party though means I will not have the time free since I will have to use it to do my level up training. So I do not see how this would help me.

Uller said:
Maybe you need to convince your DM to give the rest of the party some incentive to rest for a week or so. The best incentive I can think of is making PCs "train" for a week to gain all the benefits of their new level...

Victim

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Assuming that I level about as often as the rest of the party though means I will not have the time free since I will have to use it to do my level up training. So I do not see how this would help me.

Make it clear that so can't operate at your full potential without a chance to rest. If necessary, try and throw them an incentive, such as creation of a minor item.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Is there always something going on that demands the party's attention within a day or two? If not, I second the motion that you put your foot down. The next time the party says, "okay, no need to take a break, we're going on an adventure," you should say "have a nice time without me."

Besides, do they have no conception of the magic items one could be crafting? Are they utterly mad?

Basically the DM and party had a bit of a time limit on them that finally ended when we delivered an item. As soon as that happened we were given a new deadline of 3 weeks before we were to leave on another trip. So the DM has been prodding us continually. Of course this keeps any of the players from wanting to rest for more than a few days.

On another note I am a combat mage not a item creation mage. I might be taking an item creation feat with my next level but I an undecided.

Dr_Rictus said:
Is there always something going on that demands the party's attention within a day or two? If not, I second the motion that you put your foot down. The next time the party says, "okay, no need to take a break, we're going on an adventure," you should say "have a nice time without me."

Besides, do they have no conception of the magic items one could be crafting? Are they utterly mad?

Uller

Adventurer
DocMoriartty said:

I would assume that "training" and learning a few new spells would be synonymous. By training, I mean just time practicing your new skills and reflecting on your accomplishments. Not actually going to some academy or some such(I've always found that an unnecessary burden on the fun). The point is...make it clear to the DM and the party that the pace of adventuring is having an undo impact on your ability to fully realize your character. Other classes don't have to take a few days to "learn" new abilities. Wizards do. If you can't learn a new spell now and again, you may as well be playing a Sorcerer(okay...not really, but you get the point).

Dr_Rictus

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
On another note I am a combat mage not a item creation mage. I might be taking an item creation feat with my next level but I an undecided.

And neither the cleric nor the druid has any item creation feats? If so, I have to say you guys are really missing out. It's my firm opinion that someone in every party should have Craft Wondrous Item as soon as the group hits 3rd level, and someone should have Craft Wand at 5th or 6th. Think of the ease with which each of the druid, cleric, and paladin (and the rogue, if he had a good Use Magic Device skill) could have been provided with a wand of cure light wounds, and the number of hit points you can pack in one of those.

And of course, any wizard can Scribe Scrolls, but your party might not recognize the benefits of that. At least, not until you point out that characters can cooperate on the prerequisites for any magic item, so you could be collaborating with the cleric and druid to scribe scrolls for them, which means no more having to prepare such rarely-used but vital spells as neutralize poison and remove curse.

Naturally, this straying off-topic at this point, but you party really ought to consider the advantages of making magic items if your DM ever gives you a breather.

Remove ads