D&D 5E Is there even a new D&D setting?

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

The press release that was sent out said:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new setting and storyline as well as accompanying new products

The web page for the event says:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products

The word “setting” is missing from the web page, but exists in the press release. The text is the same otherwise.

I don’t know which order the two were written in, or if the latter changed, or if the former contains extra information.

It's entirely possible that they meant "setting" in the normal, everyday sense of the word, not "Setting(tm)" as fans use it. In which case it would have been an injudicious word choice, but Icewind Dale (for example) would qualify.
Absolutely. Setting was used as a synonym for region/location/adventure site. Once they realised the potential for confusion they changed the entry for the website, but the press releases had already been sent out.

There is no new setting book, but the new adventure will not take place in the same location as an existing adventure.

dwayne

Adventurer
i have got my own "setting" i am trying to run over facebook, messenger and roll20 a modern fantasy setting for 5th edition, have to use second party books and make some house ones to fill in the gaps but so far everyone is very pleased. But i have not seen many products that toast my bread of late from the muck dwellers of the only ream that matters.

I've learnt to be patient. It's funny watching the speculation though. Outta popcorn though.

I'm not really enjoying it tbh. I get why WotC run these extended hype campaigns, but they don't do much for the community on here, imho. The viciousness on threads like the 'how many psionic characters have you seen' and the various threads about the possibility of a new FR book, etc, etc, gets pretty wearing.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm not really enjoying it tbh. I get why WotC run these extended hype campaigns, but they don't do much for the community on here, imho. The viciousness on threads like the 'how many psionic characters have you seen' and the various threads about the possibility of a new FR book, etc, etc, gets pretty wearing.

Yeap and then whatever comes out is funny to watch the reactions.

Probably pick up the Greek one soon, bought Eberron gonna pass on Wildemont.

Dragonlance has always been fueled by the novels, but we haven't seen a new Dragonlance novel in quite some time. I checked Wikipedia's list of Dragonlance novels and the last published DL book was a new edition of the Dragonlance Legends Trilogy in 2011. It's a bit of a dry spell.

Forgotten Realms isn't exactly filling store shelves but Salvatore at least looks to still be getting mileage out of Drizzt and company. Plus FR has always billed itself as a super-detailed campaign setting so it has that going for it even without the books.

If DL does return I wonder what it will have that will hook people into the setting that doesn't own a pair of nostalgia goggles. Maybe they've got a blockbuster of a novel in the works to kickstart a new DL setting/adventure/thing?

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
DL coming out in this day or age though, hooly dooly it would be -torn- to pieces by a modern audience unless changed heavily. Alignment isn't the most popular of things at the best of times and it absolutely ham-fists it

I think the sheer lack of DL is showing there's no new novel on its way or the like. DL's had its time

ddaley

Explorer
Yeap and then whatever comes out is funny to watch the reactions.

Probably pick up the Greek one soon, bought Eberron gonna pass on Wildemont.

I am just waiting for Trudvang 5e now, tbh. I buy most of what WotC puts out, because it isn't that much. I have skipped a few things, in which I have no interest. I just started reading the Trudvang that I already have, to get a head start. I backed their relaunch kickstarter, but never read much of the material, 'cause I knew my group didn't want to learn a new system. But, now...

Inchoroi

Adventurer
My personal wish:

Planescape. The campaign: The Great Modron March + Dead Gods.

The Great Modron March was a series of encapsulated adventures that take place all across the planes, and is perfect for Adventurer's League.

Dead Gods is the hardcover campaign book. I don't remember much about Dead Gods, save for why its called that (spoilers).

Remove ads

Remove ads