D&D 5E Is there even a new D&D setting?

Though we’ve been speculating about what the new setting recently pre-announced for D&D might or might not be (Icewind Dale being one suggestion), there's some doubt about whether it exists at all!

The press release that was sent out said:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new setting and storyline as well as accompanying new products

The web page for the event says:

Fans of D&D will learn all about the new storyline as well as accompanying new products

The word “setting” is missing from the web page, but exists in the press release. The text is the same otherwise.

I don’t know which order the two were written in, or if the latter changed, or if the former contains extra information.

It's always been better as a story vs a game IMHO. Tuned out after Dragons of Summer Flame. Tried rereading a few years ago and not good.

Tried reading the Mina books as well early 2000s.
Eventually read the wiki to find out what happened.
The Dragonlance trilogy is a good trilogy. If your 12. I liked it then.

Dragonlance is too hinged on the novels. Too hinged on the novel characters.
Set it during a different time period. Would be better.

I mean. That Dragonlance. What a great setting.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The Dragonlance trilogy is a good trilogy. If your 12. I liked it then.

Dragonlance is too hinged on the novels. Too hinged on the novel characters.
Set it during a different time period. Would be better.

I mean. That Dragonlance. What a goddamn great setting.

14 or 15 when I first read them.

For the return of the Dragonlance as one of the favorite D&D franchises this needs to be promoted, or a videogame, or a cartoon serie. But this can cause a conflict about canon. What if the scripters have got any idea but this means any retcon? For example kenders aren't so..... childish, or gullies aren't so stupid (only they are very bad to talk common languange and not their local dialect).

If the chronomances and times spheres come back to 5th Ed you can bet Krynn will have got a lot of "uchronies" created by the fandom, and someones published in DM Guild, and this would be right.

* A webcomic could be published about a boy from the real life who is shooted when he tried to save his crush and when we wakes up and opens the eyes he discover he has reincarnated into Sturm.

* When a new 100% original setting? Maybe when they need a totally new world where to add all the new crunch (PC races, monsters, base classes..).

Mercurius

Legend
The problem with that is the average age of D&D players is higher than it was back then, so, whilst teen fiction was fine when most of your players where in their teens, its a bit juvenile for players in their twenties and thirties.

It's very much off topic though - this thread has already established that there is no new campaign setting announcement coming - it was a misleading communication that was soon corrected.

I absolutely loved the Chronicles and Legends when I first read them, pretty much as they came out in the mid-80s when I was in middle school. I re-read them a few years later and still enjoyed them quite a bit.

I did a re-read about a decade ago (I think), when I was in my 30s and was underwhelmed, to say the least. The writing quality--of the first book, at least; it improved noticeably with the second book--was quite amateurish. But the story still held up and the characterization was OK, if a bit adolescent.

That said, the story is good, the world-building well done, and there are enough strong elements that it could be adapted to make a great TV series. If WotC ever does a series, I think it is the best option of well-known story-lines. It is more thematically rich than, say, the Drizzt stories, with a more interesting cast of characters.

The point being, I'm not as much suggesting that they center a Dragonlance media event on the original novels, but on a cinematic adaptation. You could do the Chronicles in three seasons and, if it is successful, three more for Legends. Of course that might be a pipe-dream.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
All D&D literature? That might be too sweeping. There have been some characters in D&D books that I've thought were quite compelling. A minority, to be sure, but they're there.

All D&D literature? That might be too sweeping. There have been some characters in D&D books that I've thought were quite compelling. A minority, to be sure, but they're there.
Maybe a little hyperbolic (and I haven't read everything anyway). It's mostly heroes who are bad, but there are certainly some who are better than the DL characters.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases