• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

is this a valid tactic for shutting down a caster

moritheil

First Post
Bagpuss said:
It's the same if you cast silence on a pebble then put the pebble in a purse. It loses line of effect to anything else. I suppose technically it has line off effect to the target stuck with the arrow as it is touching him, but I would logically expect it would need a line of effect to the source of the sound. And if enclosed then the an emanation doesn't go beyond the enclosure.

But the enclosure is the caster, here. If it's in his flesh, I find it odd to suggest that he's automatically able to ignore it - after all, it's touching him.

If you want to argue that any amount of flesh can block an emanation off, then silence can never work, since it doesn't go through skin to hit vocal cords and lungs.

To affect you, does an emanation have to engulf you, does it have to engulf your organs, or does it just need to include the square that you're in?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
One issue with the arrow trick: ammunition that hits its target is always "destroyed or rendered useless." A DM might reasonably rule that if the object you cast silence on breaks, the spell ends.

eamon

Explorer
jaelis said:
One issue with the arrow trick: ammunition that hits its target is always "destroyed or rendered useless." A DM might reasonably rule that if the object you cast silence on breaks, the spell ends.

That is how I would rule it, for instance. I'd try to avoid that can of worms simply by only allowing what obviously should work.

A house-rule which allows silence only on points of space might be reasonable too, if it turns out to be a game-damaging issue.

moritheil

First Post
jaelis said:

That is a valid objection, yes.

FWIW I'm surprised that no one has mentioned silencing the party scout and having them tumble or sneak around to the enemy caster. It can also work with monks (silenced grapple!) and charging frontliners.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
moritheil said:
That is a valid objection, yes.

FWIW I'm surprised that no one has mentioned silencing the party scout and having them tumble or sneak around to the enemy caster. It can also work with monks (silenced grapple!) and charging frontliners.

Silencing the Summoned Air Elemental you're sending to grapple him.

Try outrunning Fly 100 ft. (perfect), foolish caster!

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads