D&D 5E Is this power gamey?

It's only the part about leftover damage which makes me favor the first interpretation (i.e. disallow Relentless Endurance). When you really drop below 0hp you ignore excess damage beyond the part that takes you down to 0 (except that you may need to check for instant death from massive damage, but if that's not the case, then it doesn't matter if damage would take you to -1 or -10, in 5e you just default to 0hp).

However in wildshape the excess damage does matter, it is not ignored but subtracted from your original form's hp. Relentless Endurance would then also negate any excess damage.

Cogently argued. Well done sir.

(I realize that Majoru made the same point earlier, and I gave XP for that because I found it persuasive, but I found your phrasing particularly cogent.)

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
Is it powergaming?

It all depends on how one defines powergaming as there are a few definitions that have been around for a very long time. Three examples of definitions include
a) an emphasis or focus on character power as defined in the game. This can be as simple as having an attitude that my starting character has to be as good as a special forces/olympic level athlete/whatever, have minimum of x in bonuses, delivering a minimum of x amount of damage, being great at social combat (in a game where social combat is power), etc and viewing the character as "sucks"/"inefficient" if they don't meet this arbitrary thereshold. Also under this character would be focusing upon abilities like domination or social skills in games where those options result in the most powerful characters (hence dpr is not an important factor).
b) playing with the goal/emphasis upon accumulating power. In D&D which rewards characters as they level with bonuses, new spells, accumulation of magic items granting bonuses and/or spells, money that can be used to purchase magic which increases bonuses and provides new spells as as characters level in order to level repeat the cycle and grow in power, a player with emphasis on leveling and accumulation of power would be power gamer.
c) Optimizing/ Min-max. For some people, powergaming is Optimizing/Min-Max. However, given a and b above, I don't think a player need be good at min-maxing or even engage in it to be a powergamer. Powergaming is an outlook. Optimization is just a tool that can be towards powergaming (which is why many powergamers engage in it). However, optimization, need not be used for power gaming. I One can optimize to be best underwater basket weaver, but that is not going to make a character powerful in most games. It just represents how talented the character is. Optimization is, therefore, just assigning available choices to best meet a concept rather than using those resources elsewhere.
Min/Maxing, however, in my opinion and in that of many circles is both a form of optimization and powergaming given that the name is about minimizing weaknesses and maximize strengths (and, therefore, about character power)

The other thing that often gets over looked is that power gaming is not binary. It is on a continuum. I don't care about dpr, having the biggest numbers or many things about which heavy powergamers care. However, on some style quizzes, I still show some degree of powergaming, because I like having my character to both improve in existing skills and picking up new skills to reflect my character's growth. Improving existing skills and picking up new skills both provide increased bonuses in order to be more effective mechanically and so, under b above, would involve some degree of powergaming which is why I usually get around 25% powergamer on certain tests.

Last edited:

Remove ads