Is TTRPGing an "Expensive Hobby"

Argyle King

Legend
There are boxed sets of TTRPGS in the 40-60 dollar range. Such sets come with dice and everything you need to get started.

The typical group is 3-5 people.

So, that's what? Somewhere between $8-$20 to get started. I suppose maybe $60 if one person is footing the entire bill.

That seems pretty reasonable for the amount of hours of entertainment you'd get from even just 1 campaign.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
TTRPGs cost virtually nothing. DriveThruRPG has plenty of full games available at no cost, complete with accessories, quickstart rules, and expansions. In many cases, you are only out the cost of pencils and paper (and maybe a set of dice.)

...or...

TTRPGs cost a literal fortune. Buying a set of 3 hardcover rulebooks for the latest top-selling game, brand new, from your local game store, plus a handbook, mini, set of dice, and a dice bag for each player, can easily be hundreds of dollars. Add in the cost of an internet connection, a subscription to Roll20 (or a license to FantasyGrounds) for each player, a battle mat, some 3D-printed terrain, and a full library of a dozen different splatbooks (in both print and electronic format), etc., and you're looking at thousands of dollars.

I'm somewhere in the middle.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
TTRPGs cost virtually nothing. DriveThruRPG has plenty of full games available at no cost, complete with accessories, quickstart rules, and expansions. In many cases, you are only out the cost of pencils, paper, and a single set of dice.

...or...

TTRPGs cost a literal fortune. Buying a set of 3 hardcover rulebooks for the latest top-selling game, brand new, from your local game store, plus a handbook, mini, set of dice, and a dice bag for each player, can easily be hundreds of dollars. Add in the cost of an internet connection, a subscription to Roll20 (or a license to FantasyGrounds) for each player, a battle mat, some 3D-printed terrain, and a full library of a dozen different splatbooks (in both print and electronic format), etc., and you're looking at thousands of dollars.

And now you're making me vaugely consider sitting here for another few minutes instead of going to bed, so that I can set up a poll about how much we each spend on ttRPGs relative to our incomes with the thread title "Is TTRPGing an Expensive Hobby to You?".

Bed wins!

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Bed wins!
In case you were being serious, I would totally vote in that poll. I think it would be interesting to see the results, too.

I just filled my income taxes. If I divide the amount of money I spent on TTRPGs over the year (including crowdfunding projects, books, gifts, and my Roll20 subscription) by my total income, the result is 0.0031, or 0.3%.

Compare that to the amount I spent on streaming services (2.2%) and video games (0.6%), and it's actually pretty cheap.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
TTRPGs cost virtually nothing. DriveThruRPG has plenty of full games available at no cost, complete with accessories, quickstart rules, and expansions. In many cases, you are only out the cost of pencils and paper (and maybe a set of dice.)

...or...

Good luck trying to round up 5-6 people to play those free games from DriveThru.

You’ll have better luck finding players for the expensive alternative.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Expensive compared to what? Some people drive cars on race tracks as a "hobby," or keep and breed racehorses as a hobby; TRPGing is much, much less expensive than either of those. Other people check out library books by the dozen, or paint with watercolors, or write poetry, or knit, or cook TRPGing is (or at least can be) much, much more expensive than any of those.

Remove ads