• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is your love for 3E waning? Waxing? Staying steady?

shadoe

First Post
In many ways I my excitement for 3E is waning. I know that if I get a chance to play something else for a while it will regain some of it's excitement, and fortunately our groups old Earthdawn game will be starting up soon, so that will help.

Erifnogard

First Post
Waning. Other than Mutants and Masterminds there is no current d20 variant that I'm even interested in as a rules system(setting info is another story, but I can port setting over to any system I think will emulate it). Even with M&M being as elegant as it is, I want to play it not run it. I think that the next game I actually run is probably going to use the Savage Worlds system from Pinnacle (not sure yet as the full rules aren't actually out, though the test drive rules are neat).

Depends on what you mean by 3e exactly, I guess. Standard 3e D&D -- interest has been waning for some time. Not because of the system so much, I'm just tired of the specifically D&D-fantasy genre, with D&D magic, dungeon-crawling and all that that entails.

Now if by 3e you mean all the d20 stuff that's come out in the last year or so, my interest is definately waxing -- I'm real excited to try out my "traditional" fantasy using a d20 Modern/d20 CoC rules hybrid, and I'm real excited about M&M. And I'm also really excited about d20 Modern in general, still.

coyote6

Adventurer
Re: Wax on... wax off... wax on... wax off...

For D&D, about the same. [edit: which is to say, I quite like it, but still also like other games, & have the occasional peeves with the system.]

I wouldn't mind playing GURPS more often, or even managing some Feng Shui occasionally. And I really would like to try Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and/or Witchcraft). But I'm cool with the D&D campaigns I'm running and playing in.

I just need for everybody to be able to game more often. ;)

For d20-meaning-got-the-logo, also about the same.

For d20-meaning-OGL, waxing. 'Cause, hey, Mutants & Masterminds!

Fourecks said:
I've heard the new Buffy book (D6) isn't too bad,

I'm not sure what you meant by the (D6) parenthetical, but FWIW, the Buffy RPG's system has nothing to do with West End Games' d6 system. Buffy uses a variant of Eden's Unisystem, and as far as I recall, it's all d10s (not dice pools, though).

(I'll not go into how many GURPS campaigns I've ran or played that started at or way above 250 pts, or how the PCs in the GURPS campaign that's we're still playing semi-regularly range from 400-ish to over 1000 pts. ;) )

Last edited:

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I got to a certain level in my relationship with 3e and I think I'm there for good. On one hand I'd rather play OD&D or AD&D 1e but my players like 3e and I can still have fun with it so I'll keep running it. It's got strong and weak points like all systems. I'm not psyched about 3.5e as I'm fine with 3e as it is.

Victim

First Post
Teflon Billy said:

I hear you brother.

Waning here.

The game is a fine reworking of old the old D&D rules, but it lacks flexibility. You essentially *must* play a high magic game (with tons of magic items) if you intend to allow all of the classes/races.

The magic item ceation rules allow for huge power inflation, and power inflation on this scale seems a lot like Diablo to me. The characters become defined more by their equipment than anything else...I'm aware that you die-hard roleplayers sink a lot into your PC's personas, but on a nuts and bolts level, they are their equipment as the game approaches high levels.

The 3E games I've run have shown this enough times that I now can beleive they weren't anomalies.

I'm loving Mutants and Masterminds though, so I guess I'm not abandoning D20 all together.

Err, yeah. And the main difference between two 2e 10th level fighters would be rolled stats and equipment. And a 15th level fighter was pretty weak next to a 15th level mage with decent spells, if he didn't have lots of good magic items.

The only difference is that 3e points out the problem for you, and gives a jury-rigged patch.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Victim said:

Err, yeah. And the main difference between two 2e 10th level fighters would be rolled stats and equipment. And a 15th level fighter was pretty weak next to a 15th level mage with decent spells, if he didn't have lots of good magic items.

I would change "was pretty weak" to "was completely useless", but otherwise I would agree with you.

The only difference is that 3e points out the problem for you, and gives a jury-rigged patch.

What patch is that? "Make sure they have (X) number of Magic Items at (X) level"?

Broken Fang

First Post
Teflon Billy and Erifnogard - What do you two like about Mutants and Masterminds that makes it so good? Just give me a few examples of its play over 3rd ed D&D.

My enthusiasm for 3e has on the whole stayed quite steady. I've had a few ups and downs, but those were more related to personal free time and energy issues than to my love for the game.

I expect that this game will keep me entertained for at least another year.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads