Is'Merith - Campaign Thread

Matthan

Explorer
[sblock=Questions] Okay, I'm trying to get creative here so a few questions. Can I get a good enough sense of the lock's mechanisms to use prestidigitation to make a facsimile to open it? Can Mage Hand manipulate the gears? Can I use thieves' tools to jerry rig a mechanism to crank it open?[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
OOC: Ok, this is not meant to be an easy check at all. DC 20. You're using thieves tools on a big, heavy mechanism. Whilst I believe thieves tools are relatively strong despite thier size etc, there may be a risk in breaking them. Because you are trying to be creative with other spells, particularly your enhanced mage hand AND because Alejandro is trying to assist, you may have advantage. Getting this door open will have the primary benefit of being a more direct route to where you're going. The risk? A natural 1 will mean broken tools. If you roll 2 natural 1s with your advantage, you will break your thieves tools. But the chance of rolling 2 natural ones is 1 in 400, so you should be fine

[Sblock=ooc] So by tools do you include my staff? Cause, I'm thinking if that happens, NUNCHUKS! Yeeeeeah! So, either way, I'm good. Plus I have thieves tools so the party won't be without if the worst happens. You can do it![/sblock]

Matthan

Explorer
Daedarai stands up from inspecting the keyhole and begins rifling through his tools. "Alejandro, I may need to borrow your staff for a moment. I was able to magically feel around in there and I think I know how to get this door open." He grabs several rods, hooks, and wires from his kit and begins carefully arranging them. Every few moments, he pauses and his hand twitches in the air as if it was feeling something that wasn't there and he makes more adjustments. Eventually, he is left a quirky amalgamation of tools jutting at odd angles in a roughly cylindrical shape. A few arcane words and gestures and a metal rod appeared in his hand. One end was in a hollow pentagonal shape that snugly held the tools. The other end extended out into a wide loop of metal. As he sticks the makeshift key into the slot, he motions for Alejandro to put his staff through the loop.

"If this works, we should be able to crank this open. On the count of three, we push. One...Two...Three!"

[sblock=Rolls]
Daedarai Open door check w/advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+8 = [3, 17]+8 = 25
Thank goodness for advantage!
[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
Initially, the lock holds fast as Daedarais heart flutters, then, movement. The two of them rotate the staff about 20 degrees before deadeye, looks back to the hole and has to readjust each tool into a different position. Not JUST a lock, the teeth of the cogs he is attempting to elicit movement from spring from four different cogs, one on each side. Leave the tools for too long and they will be crushed between the teeth. Each cog must be moved simontaneously as the others, or the whole mechanism would seize up. As they continue to rotate the mechanism around, Deadeye continues his adjustments, his eye for detail, not always perfect is corrected here and there by that of the gnome. When the door is open enough for people to slip through, the party sees a silvered steel gear on the other side that appears to rotate as the door moves out.

Daedarai pulls on the gear, which sure enough is removable. He slots it into the hole on the other side in place of his tools. Sure enough, he is able to open the door the rest of the way.

Lying on a cliffy ledge next to the doorway is a skeleton. Much of what it had worn in life has rotted away, but there are a few things remaining. On what appears to have once been leather armor is an old rusted badge, not presently readable though... But also on its head is what looks like it used to be a masterwork mining helmet with a reflective bullseye mirror in the centre but no apparent means of fuelling it, just a small glass bead in the centre.

The man appears to have once owned a climbing kit as the climbing spikes near his feet indicate. There are also a series of rusted pitons and the rusty head of a hammer. The man has a pair of old spectacles on his face. A small pile of gold coins sit in a pile where the pouch once would have been. The party guesses him to have been dead a long time.

The ledge he lies on is no bigger than 5ft wide and about 15ft long. To your left is rock wall that swiftly slants sideling into a very low rooftop from where you are standing. The drop straight down leads to darkness. To the right of the ledge is an old steel post that looks like it was once part of a bridge that would have gone 10ft across to another ledge where a half a steel post still remains. It would appear to be the ledge that the rat had gone to. You can see the hole from the pipe you were in the rat escaped through. The hole is leaking a slow trickle of efluence onto that ledge, causing it to be both wet and slimy, the ledge appears to run along the wall and gradually downward, into the darkness.

Matthan

Explorer
Daedarai pockets the silvered gear and cautiously moves toward the corpse. “He looks to have been here a long time. I wonder what trapped him here?”

He methodically begins inspecting the corpse and its belongings for any clues. He grabs the helmet and peers closely at the small bead trying to ascertain if there is a magical aura there. He does the same with the spectacles as he lifts them from the skull. Finally, he grabs the rusted badge and attempts to magically clean it to make it readable.

[sblock=Actions]
Just checking on what we’ve found here. Investigation check if needed:
Daedarai Investigation: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13
He’ll also scoop up the gold pieces and count them.
[/sblock]

While Dead-Eye bothers the corpse, Alejandro is trying to figure out whether or not a rope tied to an arrow could be shot across the gap to give everyone a way to cross. Failing that, whether he or Isaac might be thrown...

Remove ads