D&D (2024) It goes to show you can't please everbody!

Li Shenron

Legend
Yes. Or actual modularity, which was the original design intent for 5e.
Exactly.

You can definitely have both a simplified and a detailed armor system in the same game. But you could also have a single "system" with different armor options, some simple and some complex.

But 5e is already like that in many things, it's just that people aren't even looking and are only interested in asking for change for the sake of change. Take Fighting Styles for example: it's a single "system" (as simple as it can be: Fighting Styles are one-time abilities of choice at a specific level of specific classes) and you get both extremely simple Fighting Styles like Archery and more complex ones like Protection. You don't need to change the system, but if you just design MORE Fighting Style to choose from (such as higher complexity options for archers and lower complexity options for protectors) you can multiply the amount of satisfied players tenfold.

But no, the hobby must be about changing rules all the time to never really change anything.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I actually want both. I want both more armors (or more ways to customize/differentiate armors like crafting materials), but also want simplified armors (I don't think we need unique gold, weight, and strength/stealth differences between armors of the same type).

Or you can just have two different modular systems that please both groups of people.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
This is why we need players to not be so desperate to play "Official Dungeons & Dragons Products". So they can find all the bells and whistles they want through 3rd Party designers and bring those things into their D&D games to give them exactly what they want-- and not get so bothered that Wizards of the Coast didn't make it. Especially considering even when WotC does make stuff people get all pissed off about how they did it.

To me, that's the thing I ultimately find amusing-- players who constantly want WotC to create all these "official" rules and things, but then hate the results and constantly complain about them when they do. See: all the Dragonlance threads.

This is why we need players to not be so desperate to play "Official Dungeons & Dragons Products". So they can find all the bells and whistles they want through 3rd Party designers and bring those things into their D&D games
i hear/read this all the time and can't imagine why you would want to BOTH stay with D&D AND buy other company stuff... Rifts Torg deadlands Mutantsandmasterminds vampire werewolf and GURPS don't tell me to stay with the game AND buy 3rd party

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
To me, that's the thing I ultimately find amusing-- players who constantly want WotC to create all these "official" rules and things, but then hate the results and constantly complain about them when they do. See: all the Dragonlance threads.

Fans are only happy when it rains
They're only happy when it's complicated
And though I know you can't appreciate it
Real fans are only happy when it rains
You know they love it when the news is bad
And you're only a real fan when you get real mad

Write your misery down
Write your misery down in a thread
Write your misery down

They feel good when things are going wrong
So they can say they were right all along
They're only happy when it rains!

Write your misery down
Write your misery down

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
i hear/read this all the time and can't imagine why you would want to BOTH stay with D&D AND buy other company stuff... Rifts Torg deadlands Mutantsandmasterminds vampire werewolf and GURPS don't tell me to stay with the game AND buy 3rd party
This is a pretty offensive thing to say to all the 3PP designers on this forum and elsewhere. Sure, choose what you want to buy, but tearing down 3PPs isn't a good look.

Remove ads