D&D 5E It is hard to wait! (for my pre-ordered PHB)

I thought about waiting, but I roll dice with the owner of my FLGS every other week in Pathfinder Society, and felt it was nice to support a game store that tries to support the hobby like that. (Despite amazon.ca literally selling the books at half the price.)

That and I'm going to GenCon and wanted a copy I could try and have signed by designers and WotC staff. But, man is my wallet going to hurt after the MM and DMG. For the extra money I'm spending on those I could have bought the Tyranny of Dragons​ adventures.

Well mine is pre-ordered from Amazon, but lacking any fancy smancy "Prime" or other expeditedness, I shouldn't expect mine to get here for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. I'm actually going to be running the Starter Set in September and my players will want PHB options for their characters, so I will get immediate use out of it.

But in the meantime I find myself kind of wondering what the current point is of my normally excessive online following of the game. All I'm really getting out of it now is spoilers to reduce the sense of wonder on flipping through the book and gobbling up its contents the first time.

And yet, there is always that fear that if I don't check what's the internet is talking about I'll miss something interesting, like MM previews or the free Hoard of the Dragon queen appendix.

Lawngnome4hire

First Post
My choice was taken away from me when my local store sold out before I got there. :mad:

However they did have a copy of Hoard of the Dragon Queen so I went ahead and picked that up so I could start reading and preparing to run it.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Yeah, if I wasn't running a game, I could have waited, too. But being able to read it and fix up the players' half playtest/half basic PCs for the next game is worth it. I can be more patient for the MM and DMG.

OH man, I feel you on that one.

On Thursday, we'll begin our Tyranny of Dragons playtest session by upgrading the characters to full PHB readiness. Every last one. (We'll also be rolling up two replacements for the PCs captured by the dragon last session).

Sometime during the week, my homebrew group will meet and we'll update all their characters to full PHB readiness before beginning a new political arc in that game.

And on Tuesday, we'll tackle the second half of my Basic D&D one-shot (that turned into a two-shot due to time constraints). Having the PHB will mean nobody needs to look up spells on the tablets. I'm really looking forward to that. :)

Remove ads