D&D (2024) D&D Pre-orders; this is sad

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I was away for a full week for vacations. I'm catching up on the news, I saw this, and I felt really sad.

1720028815919.png

I'll be transparent. I grew tired of 5E about three years ago and haven't touched it since. Solely for these reasons. But the whole OGL debacle and all the other red flags that I saw pop in the last week made it very clear that, interest or not in the rules, I ought to stay away from the game and the company owning it.

However, the game still has a massive influence on the industry and community of TTRPG so I take interest in the news. And seeing this preorder page is exactly what I feared would happen many months ago.

For context, I work in the video games industry. It's an industry that's incredibly creative and remarkable in many ways. But it's also an industry that has been strangled for almost a decade by rapacious capitalism and greed. Games get more and more pricier to develop and the marketing budgets are exploding, all in the goal of projecting value and convincing customers that your game is the one to buy. These high cost lead companies to hire rapacious CEOs that take away tens of millions of dollars in salaries, while cutting away employees in wave and cribbling games with questionable monetary practices. So many design decisions are taken not being it'll make a better game and give you more fun, but because it'll make you feel bad and get you to spend. It's a big disgusting.

And for those that don't know, there's been records massive layoff in the industry. Tens of thousands have lost their jobs in the past 18 months.

The image above? It's exactly the first step into the same model. I don't know how the TTRPG industry will react, the composition and balance of its ecosystem is quite different than video games; however, it cannot be positive. Less than a decade ago, a video game offering a DLC too soon after launch was questionable; did the devs cut some content from the game to make you spend more? Now, every release has such practices. Early accesses, different tiers, fear of missing out, exclusives.

You used to be able to buy one product. You buy the book, you have the book, you play the game. You want more book? There's more books. It won't be the same. And, rightfully so, many will say "but you can still just buy the book and ignore all of that!". The thing, is that if my experience proves me right, the kind of practices detailed above will be embraced and accepted by enough people that it will prove the executives right. "That's where the money is." And it will continue to drift in that direction. With video games, you cannot just "buy the game" and ignore the naughty word. Your product is already cut in pieces. You pay the full price, get a part of it. And the design of your products is affected by it. They do not design the best product possible, they design the product they can monetize the most.

I guarantee that in a set number of years, it will all be subscription based and you will own nothing and be happy.

I will anxiously be looking at the general reception of all of this. I wasn't planning to, but I now know 100% that I will not buy any more Wizards of the Coast products. I cannot participate in telling them that this path is the best one for us, because it's not.

I will look even more anxiously to the rest of the ecosystem, the OSR, the indie games, the other systems like Call of Cthulu, Pathfinder, World of Darkness, etc. Will they follow suit? Will it affect it? How?

I can't be the only one shaken by this.

Quickleaf

Legend
Separating my personal opinion of Hasbro/D&D's direction as best I can, and just looking at that graphic / what's been said in marketing so far...

I am very critical of the "early access" digital model (and especially critical of the "pay for earlier access" model), and we should all be very critical of that because it is detrimental to Friendly Local Gaming Stores.

Hopefully, we'll see FLGS receiving an "even earlier access" release.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I can't be the only one shaken by this.
Probably not. But there are a lot of us who also just don't care.

I don't care that I "subscribe" to many things and not "own" them. Why? Usually because by the thing I subscribe to stops being available... the thing isn't worth keeping anymore anyway.

I subscribed to the 4E online tools. I don't have those tools anymore. But I don't care, because I don't play 4E anymore so I don't need access to it. I subscribe to EN World and pay a certain amount to Morrus for him keeping the message boards active. At some point he might shut the message boards down and I won't have access to them anymore. But I have paid my money and gotten my use. I subscribe to Office 365 and keep my tools up-to-date, regardless of how many times I change out my desktop computer (rather than trying to install software that I bought 10 years ago in hopes that it'll work all right). At some point Microsoft might stop publishing Office 365, at which point I won't have it to use. But I've already gotten my years out of it that I needed.

To me, "owning" things is oftentimes overrated.

g00se99994

Explorer
Probably not. But there are a lot of us who also just don't care.

I don't care that I "subscribe" to many things and not "own" them. Why? Usually because by the thing I subscribe to stops being available... the thing isn't worth keeping anymore anyway.

I subscribed to the 4E online tools. I don't have those tools anymore. But I don't care, because I don't play 4E anymore so I don't need access to it. I subscribe to EN World and pay a certain amount to Morrus for him keeping the message boards active. At some point he might shut the message boards down and I won't have access to them anymore. But I have paid my money and gotten my use. I subscribe to Office 365 and keep my tools up-to-date, regardless of how many times I change out my desktop computer (rather than trying to install software that I bought 10 years ago in hopes that it'll work all right). At some point Microsoft might stop publishing Office 365, at which point I won't have it to use. But I've already gotten my years out of it that I needed.

To me, "owning" things is oftentimes overrated.
Me too. Respect people that want to own books, enjoy reading them and displaying them. As I've gotten older my eyesight sucks so digital is a better product for me. I generally like errata changes too and like to play as much as possible RAW so having updated digital content is appealing to me. Kind of like what Archives of Nethas has been able to do with PF2E.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
No, but you see WotC and D&D are different because.....
I think the big difference is that WotC is the only equivalent to a AAA studio in the tabletop space. No one else could successfully pull this crap and thus, won't.

If people get really irritated -- and OP is not the only one voicing these concerns online -- Kobold Press, ENWorld Publishing and others have 5E off-ramps to switch to relatively easily, or one could just use material from the SRD, which is out there and free forever.

And that's to say nothing of the many, many other RPGs out there published by smaller outfits or individuals, all of whom have a much easier time distributing nowadays than ever in the industry's history.

If/when WotC alienates a bunch of their customers by imitating the worst excesses of the videogame industry, some of the gamers will leave the industry entirely, but others will find many other places to go.

It's hard to imagine this spreading throughout the industry.

Remove ads