It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

ECMO3

Hero
DDB post from Kyle Brink today:

1. Not revoking 1.0a

2. Releasing entire 5E SRD on creative commons

"This Creative Commons license makes the content freely available for any use. We don't control that license and cannot alter or revoke it. It's open and irrevocable in a way that doesn't require you to take our word for it. And its openness means there's no need for a VTT policy. Placing the SRD under a Creative Commons license is a one-way door. There's no going back."

This is what we wanted and it represents a clear reversal from WOTC along with a mea culpa. Putting the SRD under CC is one heck of a show of good faith. I asked for that in the survey, as presumably others did, but I am surprised they did it.

Going forward IMO WOTC can do what they want with ONE. Obviously I would like that to be open as well, but at the end of the day it is up to them and putting a new game under a closed license does not represent the same sort of break in trust that putting 5E under it would have been.

Scribe

Legend
Thank? Get back on board?

Thank?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

VenerableBede

Adventurer
While WotC has made some key steps just to repair completely avoidable damage, they have in no way earned goodwill or trust yet. That's a long road to walk, and they shouldn't expect most customers who left to return any time soon.

That said, I hope people who were planning on returning if this event happened are able to have a good time with their DnD stuff.

As for everyone else who took this experience as the push they needed to try other TTRPGs, I really hope that they don't come directly back. There's nothing wrong with playing DnD again, of course, but there are so many other experiences to be had with other systems—many of these players might have far more fun moving away from DnD.

While WotC has made some key steps just to repair completely avoidable damage, they have in no way earned goodwill or trust yet. That's a long road to walk, and they shouldn't expect most customers who left to return any time soon.

That said, I hope people who were planning on returning if this event happened are able to have a good time with their DnD stuff.

As for everyone else who took this experience as the push they needed to try other TTRPGs, I really hope that they don't come directly back. There's nothing wrong with playing DnD again, of course, but there are so many other experiences to be had with other systems—many of these players might have far more fun moving away from DnD.
Eloquently said.

mellored

Legend
None of this stopped me from playing my weekly game. And there hasn't been another play test for me to examine.

So i don't know what else you expect me to get back on board with.

That said. "Thank WotC" is not the right word. "Forgive WotC" would be more accurate.

Holding a grudge isn't good for anyone's health.

Remove ads