It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

mamba

Legend
Ding ding ding... and it is WotC's brand recognition that allows this.
You bolded the wrong part ;) Notice the self-perpetuating dominance. The OGL ensures very few attempt to unseat them and those that could maybe try cannot do so because they do not have the broad ecosystem and get big enough to actually try.

The benefit to WotC is that it ensures their position in the center of the universe, because it gets constantly reinforced instead of constantly challenged.

it has been proven the vast majority of those playing D&D use WotC materials only...
the majority only uses the PHB + DMG + MM, so this is obviously true

so when you claim that WotC benefits just as much or more from the OGL as 3pp I think you are vastly overestimating exactly what and how much they gain... I think WotC has a better handle on this and is in fact why they were willing to terminate the OGL... I'd bet it's not benefitting them to the extent hardcore gamers on a D&D focused forum seem to think it is.
I think they underestimated it, and that is why they changed course. What is your explanation for them changing course then

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
Ding ding ding... and it is WotC's brand recognition that allows this. Sure WotC benefits from 3pp in niche stuff but it has been proven the vast majority of those playing D&D use WotC materials only... so when you claim that WotC benefits just as much or more from the OGL as 3pp I think you are vastly overestimating exactly what and how much they gain... I think WotC has a better handle on this and is in fact why they were willing to terminate the OGL... I'd bet it's not benefitting them to the extent hardcore gamers on a D&D focused forum seem to think it is.
Well it absolutely hurt trying to take it away.

They apologized twice! And maybe a lot more depending upon these impending YouTube interviews.

Hurt so bad they gave away the SRD to CC!

Imaro

Legend
but they define an IP you want to branch out into movies and TV. If Marvel only had the name and no heroes and stories, there would not be an MCU.

They have IP... we went through this. The Brand of D&D is not the same and actually transcends a singular IP they own... and I think they would be foolish to tie it to one IP when they have a multitude of IP to draw on. The minute they tie D&D to specific characters, or a single campaign setting it becomes less about all of the various games we play and more about that one thing. Homebrew is the most popular setting... why would they ever limit themselves like you and a few others seem to suggest they should.

EDIT: As for the MCU and their characters/stories... they have no problem totally redefining both for the MCU... to the point that some have asked... why even base these on the existing characters and stories in some cases.

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
Well it absolutely hurt trying to take it away.

They apologized twice! And maybe a lot more depending upon these impending YouTube interviews.

Hurt so bad they gave away the SRD to CC!

I don't disagree with this, but they are separate issues. The backlash could very well hurt them worse than any benefit they would receive from revoking it. Still has no bearing on how much the OGL actually benefits them. I find it crazy that we think WotC decided to try and do this on a whim, that they and Hasbro didn't crunch numbers and analyze the monetary aspect of this before moving forward. What they didn't anticipate was the emotional reaction to it by their fans.

Sacrosanct

Legend
CR is important, but I think they get too much credit for the rise of D&D's popularity. The timeline seems to back this up:

Big Bang Theory: 2007
Community AD&D episode: 2011 and 2014
5e playtest: 2012
5e release: 2014
Stranger Things: July 2016 (filmed in 2015)
Critical Role: 2015. took off in 2017, and 2018 when they broke from Geek and Sundry

5e was very popular when it was first released, and that was before CR started streaming their games. So CR can't be given credit for something that happened before they were even known.
Stranger Things was filmed when CR was still in its infancy, so CR doesn't get credit for that either. I'd argue that ST had more of an impact than CR for the game's popularity.
And we saw D&D appearing pretty frequently in TV shows. The books were always in the background of BBT, and several episodes had them playing it. This was long before CT was a thing.

So while CR is important, they were just one piece of a larger overall resurgence.

darjr

I crit!
I don't disagree with this, but they are separate issues. The backlash could very well hurt them worse than any benefit they would receive from revoking it. Still has no bearing on how much the OGL actually benefits them. I find it crazy that we think WotC decided to try and do this on a whim, that they and Hasbro didn't crunch numbers and analyze the monetary aspect of this before moving forward. What they didn't anticipate was the emotional reaction to it by their fans.
The whole debacle is crazy.

From the attempt. From the idea someone thought it was a fiat acompli, so much they filmed videos!
To the bizarre condescending communication that I swear sounds like my eight year old grandson wrote in his worst moods.

To the dumping of the complete SRD 5.1 into CC, which I can’t believe they gave it enough thought about what they gave away to CC.

And yet to think there was sensible, reasoned, well thought out precursors to all this?

It’s possible I suppose.

And if so you’d think they’d ask some 3pp first.
The founder of Kobold Press was, as far as I know, THE most invited guest to Dragon Talk.

Did nobody ask him?

Imaro

Legend
The whole debacle is crazy.

From the attempt. From the idea someone thought it was a fiat acompli, so much they filmed videos!
To the bizarre condescending communication that I swear sounds like my eight year old grandson wrote in his worst moods.

To the dumping of the complete SRD 5.1 into CC, which I can’t believe they gave it enough thought about what they gave away to CC.

And yet to think there was sensible, reasoned, well thought out precursors to all this?

It’s possible I suppose.
I don't find it any crazier than the treatment of Paizo's employees that came out a year plus ago... which is to say these are corporations, not my friend I make transactional purchases with them but I don't personalize it. Otherwise I wouldn't be buying Paizo products either... and again let's not look beyond the business of ttrpg's it just gets worse and worse.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
Ding ding ding... and it is WotC's brand recognition that allows this. Sure WotC benefits from 3pp in niche stuff but it has been proven the vast majority of those playing D&D use WotC materials only... so when you claim that WotC benefits just as much or more from the OGL as 3pp I think you are vastly overestimating exactly what and how much they gain... I think WotC has a better handle on this and is in fact why they were willing to terminate the OGL... I'd bet it's not benefitting them to the extent hardcore gamers on a D&D focused forum seem to think it is.
No, I think wizards grossly underestimated the amount of us that stick with 5ed due to the ease of getting players for 3rd party content using third party tooling.

After all they were the ones that completely failed to read the room with regard to what sort of outcry it would be when they tried to cripple third party production.

darjr

I crit!
I don't find it any crazier than the treatment of Paizo's employees that came out a year plus ago... which is to say these are corporations, not my friend I make transactional purchases with them but I don't personalize it. Otherwise I wouldn't be buying Paizo products either... and again let's not look beyond the business of ttrpg's it just gets worse and worse.
Yea but Paizo didn’t plan on being crap to employees. They just were. They fooked up bad.

WotC suites planned this. It now seems apparently for years.

Remove ads