• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It would be great...

Khaira

First Post
The other night (Sunday, I think?), the Rotunda was PACKED! Or, that is, compared to normal attendance, it was packed. I wasn’t keeping exact track of the number of patrons that were there, but I think it was somewhere around 12-15 individuals. This was great! It was probably at least double and more likely triple or quadruples the numbers of patrons that the Rotunda normally gets.
What was even greater was that numbers in the Rotunda actually outnumbered that of the Tavern. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not trying to make this into a competition of which room has more patrons or which setting is better than the next. It was just great to see the Rotunda being used. And I think this was the first time in … well, in ever, that I’d seen numbers like this in the Rotunda.
I’d be committing myself to overextended hubris if I was arrogant enough to say that those numbers on Sunday night were all because of this tiny little threat, which is merely a mimic of others before it. Undoubtedly, there were other external, extraneous variables that went into the numbers that night.
Regardless, I want to thank everyone who joined us that night for a wonderful revel. It greatly gladdened my heart to see so many people in the Rotunda!

I’m also aware that people might not know what differentiates the Rotunda from, say, Sigil or Oerth. That is why I am working with Nashira to write an EN World specific FAQ that will, with all hope, give patrons an idea of what the ‘Realms and, Waterdeep/the Rotunda itself, are all about. So keep an eye open!

Kinetti

First Post
Magi_Siani said:
Planescape has a resident deity. Don't get much higher magic than that really. People from everywhere and everywhen can be found there. Anything goes here, pretty much. Dangerous place exactly because of it's nature. Few laws, and most of them exist to be broken saving only those of the Lady herself as I understand it. I'm not well grounded in Planescape.

The Lady of Pain is as powerful as many gods, true, but she's not truly a God in the terms of that she has or needs worshippers. In fact, she flays to death or simply Mazes anyone who tries to worship her. She does have seemingly-godlike power over the Portals that lead in and out of Sigil, which if those did not exist, Sigil would be cut off from the multiverse, period. She also has the mysterious power of ensuring that no true gods can access the Cage, though their priests can enter as long as they don't cause too much trouble, just as anyone else can, and they are not cut off from the power they draw from the gods they worship.

As for laws of Sigil, it depends on the ward, with rich-people districts like the Lady's Ward having much better law enforcement than the Hive, which is the slums of Sigil. The Market Ward is somewhere in between these two in terms of law enforcement, recieving ... at least near as much as any other well-travelled market in the multiverse. And so, the dangerousness of Sigil wholly depends on which ward you are in, and in that indeed, pretty much most any being in the multiverse can potentially be here, so you may find

As for fearing the Lady... yeah she's pretty scary, but she only comes out for real big, important things that she thinks would mar the balance that exists in Sigil. Your average adventurer would not likely encounter her, unless they do something so mightily-drastic that they'd have cause to be flayed by her dagger-like glance, (she just appears, looks at the target, and ... well, you know the saying about how looks can kill...) or Mazed.

The best sites to reference for information on Planescape, which surely includes info on Sigil specifically, too, there are two excellent sites:
www.mimir.net
and
www.planewalker.com

I hope this is information of use,
Kinetti Nighthunter, Esq., of the Fraternity of Order
the ever-educational CAT

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads