It's a Drizzt! "Timeless" - New Drizzt Do'Urden Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore

*Deleted by user*

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is the exact same release date as the as-yet-unnamed D&D hardcover adventure, codenamed "Broadway". Makes me think the novel and adventure will be tied together in some way; perhaps dealing with the aftermath of the demonic incursions from the Out of the Abyss storyline.
Probably not, considering the way that the APs have been carefully sequestered from metaplot.

TheSwartz

Explorer
I used to read all of these D&D books, especially ALL of the Drizzt material. It's ironic that it was WoTC deciding to stop publishing books that I've finally taken the advice of others and have been reading Appendix N material.

Now I finally realize why the grognards complained about these TSR/WoTC books and it's a shame that I wasted so many years not taking the advice of those who came before me.

Read ANYTHING from RE Howard, Leiber, or Vance before any of the D&D books, and you'll be a much better Dungeon Master for it.

DRF

First Post
Then again I am old and cantankerous... I've replaced Salvatore with Polansky and Rothfuss, but if any young one finds inspiration in the likes of Drizzt I will not begrudge them that, I know I did!

You haven't really moved up the literary ladder, haha! B-)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One of the interesting possibilities of a WotC/Harper Collins partnership is that Harper Voyager is massively better equipped to identify new talent in the field than TSR or WotC ever were.

gyor

Legend
One of the interesting possibilities of a WotC/Harper Collins partnership is that Harper Voyager is massively better equipped to identify new talent in the field than TSR or WotC ever were.

I honestly wish I knew more about Harper Voyager/Collins and what they bring to the table.

I am not surprised that Salvatore had the info for this new book taken down, seeing as how the same day this happened, Feb 6, was also the release date for his newest book, Child of a Mad God, which is not connected to D&D at all. I can understand him not wanting attention for that being sidetracked by news of more Drizz't in the works.

I also find it interesting that he is working with two different publishers at the same time, Tor for the new release and Harper for the next Drizz't book. I remember the days when even big name authors signed a contract with only one publisher at a time. And since Child of a Mad God is supposed to be the first in a new series, it is not the final book of an old contract or something like that.

gyor

Legend
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HarperCollins

Their Sci Fi/Fantasy Imprint has some big names including JRR Tolkien and H.G. Wells, it's absorbed Avon's Sci Fi imprint Eros, Harper Prism, and the older Sci Fi/Fantasy works of it's two major founding publishing houses (plus of course whatever they've published since.

So they are a big name and a power house, still getting the Forgotten Realms rights and possibly D&D period is huge, D&D is both a long cherished brand with a solid fan base and is in a state of major growth with great sales for it's RPG books, so it's a really big asset for Harper Voyager.

I look forward to getting more details on the deal.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I honestly wish I knew more about Harper Voyager/Collins and what they bring to the table.
Hard to overstate: they published the Sharpe books, the Master & Commander books, Neil Gaiman, Sir Terry Pratchett, Tolkien, Michael Crichton, Clive Barker...quite a bit. Huge resources.

I am not surprised that Salvatore had the info for this new book taken down

It's very unlikely that Salvatore had any involvement with this decision whatsoever. Almost all of the communication with distributors, channels, etc. goes through the publisher, with basically zero author input or consultation.

Now, Salvatore's a big enough name that it's vaguely possible, if he asked, a publisher might act on his behalf on such things. But even then, it's unlikely. And given the speed with which this all happened, and the fact that it's improbable he even knew about this information getting out there, I'd actually put money down that this was entirely a publisher communication thing.

(The fact is, authors generally have very little involvement with any stage of publishing beyond "writing the book," though again, there are exceptions.)

Remove ads

Remove ads