• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Dark Sun

Somebloke

First Post
Anyone thinking Paladins, clerics etc. might be folded into the Templar concept? It would be about the only way they would really fit.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Thinking about it more, Defiler/Preserver might be options for the existing Arcane classes, rather than classes of their own.
Paragon paths, perhaps?

The only big mechanic would be how "defiling" works with spells and the arcane classes.
Well, there are already a few classes that have powers doing damage to allies. Dark pact warlocks are probably the most well know example.

Anyone thinking Paladins, clerics etc. might be folded into the Templar concept? It would be about the only way they would really fit.
I have a feeling that templars will pretty much be statted up as paladins.

Herschel

Adventurer
Now that is an interesting choice. It's going to be a rebooted setting... it seems.

I'm still wary of how WotC is going to handle revising Dark Sun. Will there be gods and primordials? Will it use the new cosmology?

And I'm assuming all the races and classes will be included. That will make 4e DS very different from 2e DS.

Goliaths could sub for Half-Giants, Halflings are already coverted to skinny, feral bastages, it will be magic that will be most interesting to convert.

Somebloke

First Post
Goliaths could sub for Half-Giants, Halflings are already coverted to skinny, feral bastages, it will be magic that will be most interesting to convert.
Cross the haflings with the 4e gnome mechanics, and watch your party spend the entire damn campaign watching over their backs. Waiting.

Nai_Calus

First Post
The new version's focus will be on the 50,000 survivors of Athas after the Warforged nuked the planet, as they search desperately for a mythical planet named Htrae in their fleet of spelljammer ships, while fighting off more Warforged attacks.

:angel:

Defiling is a mechanic best kept to evil NPCs, I think?
Problem with it is that defiling *IS* more powerful than normal wizardry, the defilers won (the sorceror kings), they wiped out the preservers almost entirely because...defilers are more powerful.

No one, bar the most scummy/despserate of folk will tolerate defilers, because they destory plants (food etc), and only high level defilers can use the "Create Tree Of Life" spell (Tree of Life is a magiclaly imbued tree that's pretty resistant to defiling...sorceror kings have hundreds of them).

So, it'd be hard to balance defiler PCs, and, hard to integrate them into most parties.
??

D&D

First Post
That's awfully dismissive.

A well-made setting can persuade people to try new games or new editions. Just because someone's not playing 4e now doesn't mean they never will, with something that captures their imagination. It's not an exclusive club where you have to like 4e ahead of time to like a 4e setting (just didn't sound like my bag).

-O

You are basically talking about me. If this setting ends up as good as I hope it does, next August I'll be marching out of my FLGS with an armload of 4e books...this coming from a guy who has never played or expressed an interest to play 4e.

One more note, this is a really BIG deal to me. So big in fact that it actually made me decide to stop lurking, register, and post.

coyote6

Adventurer
The new version's focus will be on the 50,000 survivors of Athas after the Warforged nuked the planet, as they search desperately for a mythical planet named Htrae in their fleet of spelljammer ships, while fighting off more Warforged attacks.

You forgot the bit where changelings have been re-flavored as a kind of flesh-and-blood warforged, and have been infiltrating the fleet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads