It's Dark Sun

TrainedMunkee

Explorer
Very happy with this. :) It has been many years since I've Dark Sunned. I didn't like the revised boxed set much, and quit running it.

Defiling will be easy to do. It drains HP from allies. My players HATE it when a fellow player hits them with area attack that damages them. You wouldn't last very long doing such. I have a feeling that defiling will be NPCs only.

I didn't use the whole dehydration thing much, too easy to overcome in 1st ed. or even 2nd. If PC's did travel outside a city it was usually with a caravan, it was way too deadly otherwise, i.e. PC's looked to hire on as guards.

Didn't Rodney say he was lead on DS? Lead, yet name not on book?

avin

First Post
I'm 100% satisfied.

Didn't spend money with FR4E.
Didn't spend money with Eberron4E.

But I'll be buying every DS book.

I hope they improve graphic layout to fit the setting.

Davinshe

Explorer
Not sure if this is old news by now or not, but I was at the release announcement at Gen Con, and I asked the staff whether Dark Sun will have arcane and divine classes in it. The response, paraphrased, was:

"Arcane power users will continue to have a unique spin to them. Divine characters will be discouraged, but not outright prohibited. There is alot of story potential to being the only Paladin in Athas"

Wondering if it'd make any sense to have Templars be 4e-implemented as warlocks with the 'Sorceror-king' pact?

I'm a 3.5e/pathfinder player, but am a big Dark Sun fan and I'm rapt to hear that it's getting a new lease on life (especially a pre-Prism-Pentad one!) Will almost certainly buy the books, even if I never actually use them for their intended purpose...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The Staff (via Davinshi) said:
"Arcane power users will continue to have a unique spin to them. Divine characters will be discouraged, but not outright prohibited. There is alot of story potential to being the only Paladin in Athas"

Interesting. If this is followed, then it shows that they really aren't afraid to cut cross-compatability. Slicing out a good chunk of the classes and splatbooks for the sake of the setting makes a whole lot of potential cuts much more likely -- it makes cutting out Eladrin or 90% of the cosmology totally viable theories, since those things have much, um, smaller reprocussions. :)

If it's followed, it also means that the stranglehold "core compatability" has had on the rules might have been nearly abandoned by now. Huzzah! This would make me a very happy camper, since it would give 4e some real "take this in a new direction" possibility. It would be like telling DM's all over the world, through example: "You know, it's OK to say your world doesn't have dragonborn in it." It's something that after FR's RSE and Eberron's cosmology I would not have expected. It excites me that this is possible.

And they're absolutely right to practically prohibit it like this, to say "There's a reason we didn't put this in here. If you want to add it back in, knowing our reasons, that's fine. It could be a lot of fun. It's not going to cause any balance issues. But for our concerns, it's not in."

Optimism level rising! :lol:

Shroomy

Adventurer
Interesting. If this is followed, then it shows that they really aren't afraid to cut cross-compatability. Slicing out a good chunk of the classes and splatbooks for the sake of the setting makes a whole lot of potential cuts much more likely -- it makes cutting out Eladrin or 90% of the cosmology totally viable theories, since those things have much, um, smaller reprocussions. :)

If it's followed, it also means that the stranglehold "core compatability" has had on the rules might have been nearly abandoned by now. Huzzah! This would make me a very happy camper, since it would give 4e some real "take this in a new direction" possibility. It would be like telling DM's all over the world, through example: "You know, it's OK to say your world doesn't have dragonborn in it." It's something that after FR's RSE and Eberron's cosmology I would not have expected. It excites me that this is possible.

And they're absolutely right to practically prohibit it like this, to say "There's a reason we didn't put this in here. If you want to add it back in, knowing our reasons, that's fine. It could be a lot of fun. It's not going to cause any balance issues. But for our concerns, it's not in."

Optimism level rising! :lol:

I always figured that their MO would mostly consist of not mentioning things that clash with the traditional DS flavor.

Remove ads