• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E It's Dwarfy McDwarferson from the Player's Handbook!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
How interesting that the text says the most common skin tones are brown, but the picture is a white person.

Actually, I don't think "interesting" is the right word for that.

Agamon

Adventurer
How interesting that the text says the most common skin tones are brown, but the picture is a white person.

"...though paler dwarves often have red hair."

She's a ginger. Thus the pale skin. :)

GrumpyGamer

First Post

They deserved to be called out on that. Someone should have done a better job to proof the art direction.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer

Well, yeah. There's no problem with showing a pale dwarf. The problem is when the text says "most dwarves are brown," then then all the dwarves they show are pale.

It remains to be seen whether that will be the case throughout the PHB, but in the Starter Set at least, all the Dwarves and Elves seem to be white (except the evil dark-skinned villain).

Agamon

Adventurer
Well, yeah. There's no problem with showing one pale dwarf. The problem is when the text says "most dwarves are brown," then then all the dwarves they show are pale.

I didn't know you've had a chance to peruse the core books already! Jealous!

Edit: Sorry, your edit beat my response. We should wait and see before getting too upset. The 3e FR books, the dwarves are certainly earthy colored, and I'd be surprised if we didn't see any.

GrumpyGamer

First Post

"Dwarven skin ranges from deep brown to a paler hue tinged with red, but the most common shades are light brown or deep tan, like certain tones of earth."

White is not "a paler hue tinged with red."

The artist did not follow the art direction, and the editor put the picture in because in both of their minds they did not see dwarves as being of color. They may not have been malicious, but they both clearly see fantasy as a white setting.

Maybe 6e they finally get this right?

Remove ads