D&D 5E It's Dwarfy McDwarferson from the Player's Handbook!

mips42

Adventurer
Overall, I like it. I think I would have liked a better shadow or ground-line to 'attach' her to the ground, though.
Temporarily throwing out the whole 'why did they choose to showcase a pale-skinned dwarf' thing, in my opinion she's slightly too round, especially in the face. I think, if you make the face slightly narrower in the cheeks, you'd be there.
That being said, I would NOT want to be facing that warhammer... Just sayin'.
And, for those who prefer a little browner, ruddier dwarfette (I DARE you to call her that to her face) see this:
revsed.png

How interesting that the text says the most common skin tones are brown, but the picture is a white person.

3E and 5E dwarves are described as brown or tan skin, tho 4E says mostly same as human. Has anyone ever seen a brown/tan skinned dwarf art from D&D? I can't recall any

While being a member of the Cult of Depilation is a perfectly acceptable (if rare) choice for a female dwarf, I'm fairly certain the young lady in the illustration isn't a member -- she looks more like a prepubescent dwarf playing dress-up for Dwarven Combat Training class.

Abraxas

Explorer
3E and 5E dwarves are described as brown or tan skin, tho 4E says mostly same as human. Has anyone ever seen a brown/tan skinned dwarf art from D&D? I can't recall any
I've seen a few

78826.jpg
The dwarf on the right is a Forgotten Realms Gold Dwarf.

Dwarf.jpg
The skin (What you can see of it around the eyes and the fingers) of this dwarf, also from Forgotten Realms, is very dark

Dwarf Cleric.jpg
This is the 4E Dwarf cleric

Battle Trickster.jpg
This dwarf is from the Complete Scoundrel

Old Dwarf Young Gnome.jpg
And this is a young gnome and an old dwarf

Cheers, so there have been a few. I have always seen Dwarves as 'earth coloured skin', since the Red Box described them that way. But they are mostly depicted white or 'ruddy' - probably from all the ale!

Brainwatch

Explorer
I like the art.....The post does look a little awkward to me, but it's only because her hammer is twisted the wrong way. If it were at a 45 degree angle, it would look like she had just finished a swing. Now it looks like an awkward swing. I mean it's possible she's in the twist of the follow-through, but still. Either way, I like that this feels like another move in the direction of "action over poses". Sure, it's definitely a pose. But it's not just her standing there. Look at her shoulders and hips, she's swinging that hammer. And I can tolerate the more "pose" nature of the picture as it's meant to be a representation of the race. So I'm happy.

I look at her pose more that she's in a "ready stance" than finishing a swing. She's staring out the page at her opponent, weapon held ready. She's either about to do a block/parry bringing the weapon quickly from her left to right, immediately into a right to left counter attack. Or if given slightly more time, she'll swing that weapon up over her left shoulder and then down in a crushing overhead swing.

But that's just me.

Sacrosanct

Legend
When was it "official" Dwarven women had beards? I dont remember it as far back as 2AD&D, which was the earliest I played.

Heck, if you want to get pedantic, the first "official" D&D book had elves with beards (the OD&D illustration). Does that mean all elves should have beards now?

Really, this is a non issue. Beard, no beard, so what? It's good art. People get worked up over the silliest things some times.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
This is the kind of art I've been wanting for D&D for the last 20 years.

And, again I really dig the way they've chosen to be representative. I'm not a fan of representation for representation's sake, but this? They're using these underrepresented groups because these underrepresented groups actually belong in the picture. Like, if you were to replace the female dwarf with a male, or the black dude on the front page with a white guy, I think the picture would actually be poorer for that.

That's the kind of representation I can get 100% behind. I hope the entire 5E line turns out like this.

Last edited:

mcmillan

Adventurer
While the text description makes me think a darker skin would have been better, my first thought when I saw the picture was it looked like Violet from Rat Queens, which I don't mind.

Attachments

• Rat-Queens-Issue-3.jpg
    Rat-Queens-Issue-3.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 528

Remove ads