• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Just a Cow!

Zaran

Adventurer
So I remember back in the day I read in a magazine, Where some adventurers (maybe the Knights of the Dinner Table) were walking along and the GM describes the farm that they were passing and the cow that was grazing in the field.

The adventurers assumed that since the GM put it in their adventure that it was important and started to examine the cow and cast Dispel magic and Remove curse on the poor polymorphed prince or who not. Until the GM finally screams out "It's Just a Cow!" If anyone remembers this and could point me to where I could find that strip that would be awesome.

My group had a "It's just a cow!" moment last night when they met a couple other adventurers who were going the same direction. They thought that since the adventurers wanted to talk about the trade and weapons of choice that they were secretly thieves scoping the group out. A prudent assumption I suppose but they were just there for a bit of roleplay. It still got me thinking of that poor cow though.

Do you have an "It's just a cow!" moment to tell us about?

Klaus

First Post
It comes from Diablo.

The original Diablo game had some cows grazing nearby, and every single player would walk up to the cows and click on the repeatedly, expecting some secret combination of clicks to unlock something. The cows, of course, only "mooed".

Fast forward a few years and Diablo II, in response to that, had the "Secret Cow Level", where hundreds of cows took bloody vengeance upon the adventurers that clicked and prodded them with large bardiches.

192bb35aa4b8434e9b071b627e6dfa6b.jpg

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Crazy. One of my friends just last night was mentioning: "In KoDT, they pass a field of frolicking cows. Do cows frolick?"

Must be from the same strip. If no one answers what comic exactly it's from, I'll ask him, see which one he was reading.

Baveboi

First Post
I once had a group that was so terribly suspicious of everything, that they even had two entire spell selections just to sustain their paranoia.

Heh. One day a poor guy entered the tavern with a cowl and cape. In ONE round he was:
1 - Naked because of a quickened spell.
2 - Gagged because of another spell.
3 - Captured by the group ranger.
4 - 'Ported by the mage to a safe room, where they proceeded to interrogate the guy.
The poor sod kept screaming he was just wearing a rain cape because it was raining and he would never do it again. They even tortured the guy and they were all LG, LN, N characters...

It's not a Cow story, but a Cowl can be just as good.

EDIT: Grammar

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Not quite "it's a cow," but one group I played with mapped the dungeon they were exploring and became absolutely convinced that there was a secret room in one area because it was a blank hole on their map. I had placed an empty area there just for that reaction, but it backfired on me in a big way when they refused to give up looking for the entrance to the room. I finally told them there was no room there just to get them moving again.

Stoat

Adventurer
Long ago, my PC's were busting a ruined castle full of Gnolls. In one room, they found a black gem buried in some rubble. I described it as glittering or glimmering or twinkling or somesuch. For some damn reason, they got it in their heads that it was a magic, glowing gem. They kept it for three years of real time all the way up to level 20.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads