D&D 5E It's official, WOTC hates Rangers (Tasha's version of Favored Foe is GARBAGE)

Weiley31

Legend
The issue with 5E Ranger is that technically, Adventures in Middle Earth's take on the Ranger(or Wanderer as its called) specifically has bonuses or some mechanics that work with AIME's Exploration subsystem.

The DND 5E ranger not only has to contend with the image of Aragon/Drizzit, but also with its specialty in doing ranger stuff. Exploration relies on DM/PCs to also plan out that aspect and to not be outshown by Rogue/Bards with Expertise in Survival.

In regards to the crappier Hunter's Mark: just use the UA version.

The issue with 5E Ranger is that technically, Adventures in Middle Earth's take on the Ranger(or Wanderer as its called) specifically has bonuses or some mechanics that work with AIME's Exploration subsystem.

The DND 5E ranger not only has to contend with the image of Aragon/Drizzit, but also with its specialty in doing ranger stuff. Exploration relies on DM/PCs to also plan out that aspect and to not be outshown by Rogue/Bards with Expertise in Survival.

In regards to the crappier Hunter's Mark: just use the UA version.
You're right. But if the Deft Explorer option made in into Tasha's then you can at least get Expertise in Survival at level 1. (You could also take additional picks at level 6 and 10). (And expertise doesn't get that good until higher levels).

Of course a dip into Rogue for more Expertise doesn't exactly hurt. At a certain point you start getting diminishing return on proceeding as Ranger anyway. I guess that's a flaw, but I have to say that I actully like the fact that after you get your additional attack you can branch off into Fighter or Rogue quite happily.

And thinking about it, I'd actually want to take Expertise in Athletics before I take Stealth. Rangers tend to max Dex so they're already good at Stealth. However, they can't usually afford to have a good Strength so Expertise makes up for that (And to my mind a Ranger has to be able to climb).

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My fixes :
Favored Enemy
Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy.

Choose 2 types of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and orcs) as favored enemies. You gain the following benefits when dealing with your Favored Enemies:
  • You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) and Intelligence (Investigation) checks to track and perceive the hidden work of your favored enemies. (a little broader in application)
  • You have advantage on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
  • You have the ability to communicate in a limited manner with your favored enemy, even if you do not share a language. They can understand the meaning of your words, though you have no special ability to understand them in return. You have advantage on all Charisma and Wisdom (Insight) checks you make to influence them. (mimic the Firbolg ability)

You choose one additional favored enemy at 6th and 14th level. At the end of a long rest in your Favored Terrain, you can change one of your Favored Enemy for another if you've encountered them before. (light restriction ala druid's wildshape).

Natural Explorer
You are particularly familiar with one type of natural environment and are adept at traveling and surviving in such regions. Choose one type of favored terrain: arctic, caverns, coast, desert, forest, grassland, mountain, swamp or urban. When you make an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to your favored terrain, your proficiency bonus is doubled if you are using a skill that you're proficient in.

While traveling for an hour or more in your favored terrain, you gain the following benefits:

• Your group can't become lost except by magical means.
  • Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling, making camp or sleeping you remain alert to danger.
  • You and your companions can move stealthily at a normal pace and Wisdom (Survival) and Wisdom (Perception) made to track or spot you are made at disadvantage while traveling.
  • When you forage, you automatically know if the food or water gathered is poisoned or diseased and you and your allies regain 2 more Hit Die at the end of a long rest.
  • When you end a long rest in your favored terrain, you can change one of your known spell for another from the Ranger's list.
  • As long as you are in a favored terrain, you are always considered as carrying a component pouch for the purpose of your Spellcasting feature.
  • While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

You choose additional favored terrain types at 6th and 10th level. At the end of a long rest, you can change one of your favored terrain for the type of terrain where you finished your rest.

Primeval Awareness
Beginning at 3rd level, you can use your action to focus your awareness on the region around you. For 1 minute, you can sense through supernatural sight or hearing whether your favored enemies are present within 100 feet of you (or within up to 1 miles if you are in your favored terrain) if they are not behind total cover. You know the location and alignment of any being whose presence you sense (but not its identity). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place, beast or plant that has been desecrated or enchanted by magic or is blighted by poison or diseases.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Wisdom modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Hide in Plain Sight
Starting at 10th level, you and your allies can spend 1 minute creating camouflage. You must have access to fresh mud, dirt, plants, soot, and other naturally occurring materials with which to create your camouflage.

Once you are camouflaged in this way, you can try to hide by pressing yourself up against a solid surface, such as a tree or wall, that is at least as tall and wide as you are. You gain a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks and +10 to Initiative roll as long as you remain there without moving or taking actions. Once a creature camouflaged moves or takes an action or a reaction, they must camouflage themselves again to gain this benefit, but have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks for 1 minute.

Foe Slayer
At 20th level, you become an unparalleled hunter of your enemies. Once on each of your turns, you can add your Wisdom modifier to the attack roll or the damage roll of an attack you make against one of your favored enemies and the creature cannot regain hit points until the start of your next turn. You can choose to use this feature before or after the roll, but before any effects of the roll are applied.
I’d not limit the communication of favored enemy. It makes sense for the firbolg somewhat, but not here.

I’d also make Hide In Plain Sight less restricted, so you gain the benefit while not moving for at least one full round, and also add an extra benefit to hiding a camp.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wasn't that obvious already with the PHB Beast master...?
Not in the slightest. The PHB BM is mostly fine at low levels, and simply shows that they didn’t realize how easy to kill it would be at mid to high levels. It’s extremely easy to fix, and they seem to have mostly done so with the Tahsas beast options.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I agree the updated favored foe is not the most elegant design Wizards has come up with, but I think they added some good stuff to the ranger class with Tasha’s - the new spells added to their list and known spells that are rooted logically into the class archetype, the updated vanish, and the new movement buffs, temp hit points, and auto expertise in a skill. And it looks like the upgrade to the beast master is workable too. I can understand the FF frustration but ultimately I don’t personally feel the hate. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Remove ads