It's Time To Pre-Order Your Copy Of Into The Borderlands

Goodman Games announced some months ago that it would be producing 5th Edition updates of classic D&D adventures, and the first is now ready for pre-order: Into the Borderlands, a 384-page hardcover reprinting two classic adventures and also updating them to D&D 5E. The book slated for a May release.

Original-Adventures-Reincarnated-B1-B2.png

Original Adventures Reincarnated: Into the Borderlands is now available for pre-order! This 384-page hardcover reprints the classic Dungeons and Dragons modules B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands, in both their original format and updated for Fifth Edition Dungeons and Dragons. And there is even a full-color 16-page cover gallery insert!

The expected release date for Into the Borderlands is May, but we are hoping (cross your fingers!) to have some early-release copies available at Gary Con in March!

Inside this book you will find high-quality scans from multiple printings of the original first edition adventure modules, plus commentary by such gaming luminaries as Luke Gygax and Mike Mearls. Full fifth edition conversions of both adventures are included, as well as brand new additional adventure locations to further expand and develop the Borderlands. This is a fully playable mini-campaign to start off your new fifth edition adventures, with a distinct old-school vibe.

The originals were 16 pages each (edit - correction; B1 was 32 pages and B2 was 28 pages). This 284-page hardcover includes TWO reprinting of each of the two original modules plus the 5E conversions, which take up more space. The two reprinting include differences like different stat block formats, and different interior art. Goodman Games says "We don’t believe this is repeating the same thing, and these reprints are particularly interesting if you are a student of gaming history."

B1B2-TOC.jpg

The conversion to 5E is a "direct conversion", remaining consistent with the 1E originals; so there will be the same number of monsters in each location, and so on. "It’s up to the DM to mitigate this, or the PCs to use wise tactics (some described by Mr. Gygax himself, decades ago), or to use the age-old practice of “run away to fight another day.” The original B2 was itself not balanced in regard to encounters. There was nothing (aside from a few vague rumors) to prevent a party of 1st-level PCs from wandering into the upper caves, and facing down dozens of undead in one room (for example)."

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

R

RevTurkey

Blimey, what a tough crowd eh? I’ve been impressed with Goodman Games’ output over the years and they do a good job with hitting that old school sweet spot which I presume is why they were given the green light on this project. They are offering a complete, in-depth tribute to the two modules with many extras. That page count is massive but maybe it’ll be a good read as well as usable? The critical comments on here seem very harsh to me. Nobody is being forced to buy this deluxe, luxury product...it’s obviously more than just a reprint...which can be found for a small price on drivethru anyway. It’s not even something I want but I don’t understand the level of negativity for what looks like a fun trip down memory lane...

Zardnaar

Legend
Blimey, what a tough crowd eh? I’ve been impressed with Goodman Games’ output over the years and they do a good job with hitting that old school sweet spot which I presume is why they were given the green light on this project. They are offering a complete, in-depth tribute to the two modules with many extras. That page count is massive but maybe it’ll be a good read as well as usable? The critical comments on here seem very harsh to me. Nobody is being forced to buy this deluxe, luxury product...it’s obviously more than just a reprint...which can be found for a small price on drivethru anyway. It’s not even something I want but I don’t understand the level of negativity for what looks like a fun trip down memory lane...

It's expensive bloated and converted in the laziest way possible.

G

Guest 6801328

I'm not as pessimistic as Zard, just...skeptical. I just can't imagine (yes, even with the TOC) how they got those two modules to 384 pages. If it's a whole bunch of (real life) history and nostalgia, I'll probably pass.

I've gotta vote along with the other naysayers on this one: I don't understand who this product is targeted at. I would definitely buy a revised and updated and expanded copy of these adventures, but that doesn't explain why there needs to be multiple copies of the same adventure within. Alternatively, if it's meant as a collector piece, why advertise all the new content to be included with it?

TL;DR: I would buy an updated and expanded module, but this isn't that.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Hopefully they can hook in a way to pick up Return to the Keep on the Borderlands (in PDF or a hardcopy or whatever) as part of the final sale package.

I'm interested (but trepidatious) because I don't need both modules in duplicate, but I do want the 'other options' and 5e conversions.

Olive

Explorer
I'm not as pessimistic as Zard, just...skeptical. I just can't imagine (yes, even with the TOC) how they got those two modules to 384 pages. If it's a whole bunch of (real life) history and nostalgia, I'll probably pass.

Luckily you don't need to imagine. They've explained it: http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/01/21/into-the-borderland-faq/

I think the book looks interesting and if I was in the US I'd probably get it but the price in Australia (or worse, postage to Australia) puts me off. In terms of who the market is, I think it's OSR types interested in collecting stuff and gaming history. If that's not you then it's probably not aimed at you.

This is definitely not for the average, broke gamer, that is for sure. What it is, is the D&D version of the big, fancy coffee table art book that everyone seeing it will ooh and aah over. This is for collectors and prestige seekers, and while I am neither and will not be buying it, this is cool with me, since other people will buy it and enjoy it. And somehow, I do not think all the Negative Ninnies around here will prevent it selling just because they poo poo the idea of the book.

3 versions of each version? If I want the old versions, I'll just go get them out of my closet or buy the PDFs. I mean really, how many of us need reprints so that we can be "students of gaming history"? These reprints will never be collectors items like the originals, and for any type of 'study' you would want the originals anyway.
I like the idea of a 1e and 5e version. But two copies of the same adventure seems excessive. Indulgent even.
The originals aren't really hard to find. There are lots of used copies. And PDFs. And now print on demand copies on the DmsGuild. That's unneeded...

A "direct conversion" where "It’s up to the DM to mitigate this". Then what am I supposed to be buying? Sure, I know the roginal wasn't balanced, and this one doesn't have to be either. But if all they did was take the old one and said "5 goblins in this room, ok, we'll put 5 goblins in our conversion."

Then what the heck are we buying? What "work and effort" have they done? Where's the value add? Was all their effort all about cleaning up the images, text and formatting? I'm not paying for that.
That's my thoughts as well.
I have the originals. I have a Monster Manual. I can do a direct conversion. Heck, I can do it on the fly.

What I need/ want is a conversion that strikes a balance between a direct conversion and textbook encounters. One that matches the 1e difficulty to the effective 5e difficulty.

I sm saddened. I had hopes for this but probably won't grab a copy now...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases