It's Time To Pre-Order Your Copy Of Into The Borderlands

Goodman Games announced some months ago that it would be producing 5th Edition updates of classic D&D adventures, and the first is now ready for pre-order: Into the Borderlands, a 384-page hardcover reprinting two classic adventures and also updating them to D&D 5E. The book slated for a May release.

Goodman Games announced some months ago that it would be producing 5th Edition updates of classic D&D adventures, and the first is now ready for pre-order: Into the Borderlands, a 384-page hardcover reprinting two classic adventures and also updating them to D&D 5E. The book slated for a May release.

Original-Adventures-Reincarnated-B1-B2.png

Original Adventures Reincarnated: Into the Borderlands is now available for pre-order! This 384-page hardcover reprints the classic Dungeons and Dragons modules B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands, in both their original format and updated for Fifth Edition Dungeons and Dragons. And there is even a full-color 16-page cover gallery insert!

The expected release date for Into the Borderlands is May, but we are hoping (cross your fingers!) to have some early-release copies available at Gary Con in March!

Inside this book you will find high-quality scans from multiple printings of the original first edition adventure modules, plus commentary by such gaming luminaries as Luke Gygax and Mike Mearls. Full fifth edition conversions of both adventures are included, as well as brand new additional adventure locations to further expand and develop the Borderlands. This is a fully playable mini-campaign to start off your new fifth edition adventures, with a distinct old-school vibe.

The originals were 16 pages each (edit - correction; B1 was 32 pages and B2 was 28 pages). This 284-page hardcover includes TWO reprinting of each of the two original modules plus the 5E conversions, which take up more space. The two reprinting include differences like different stat block formats, and different interior art. Goodman Games says "We don’t believe this is repeating the same thing, and these reprints are particularly interesting if you are a student of gaming history."

B1B2-TOC.jpg

The conversion to 5E is a "direct conversion", remaining consistent with the 1E originals; so there will be the same number of monsters in each location, and so on. "It’s up to the DM to mitigate this, or the PCs to use wise tactics (some described by Mr. Gygax himself, decades ago), or to use the age-old practice of “run away to fight another day.” The original B2 was itself not balanced in regard to encounters. There was nothing (aside from a few vague rumors) to prevent a party of 1st-level PCs from wandering into the upper caves, and facing down dozens of undead in one room (for example)."

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Barantor

Explorer
It's a collectors piece, plain and simple. I'm buying it because I want all the art in a book I can enjoy and I don't have the old originals (thanks mom :( ). I have kids I want to show the art to now and I want a physical book since the majority of my 5E content is also physical.

I really enjoy Goodman Games other products, so it's a purchase I'm willing to make. As someone else said, it will probably go well with the TftYP book I own.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I will probably back, having backed some similar ones from Goodman and being very happy with the huge mondo-deluxe books I have gotten for them.

But, I also see some of the issues. This is a product for the collectors, but these where some of the mostly widely available rpgs products of all time made in very large numbers and most of us oldsters probably already have copies and maybe different printings of each (and no, I will not count up all the ones that I have).

This is not a product for those just seeking some cool adventures (maybe the pdf, maybe) which is a shame, because 5E is huge right now and more cool adventures, especially famous ones done in a style that a little different (or a lot different) then the norm today would be a great resource for a lot of tables.

But, I will still probably back, as I like the idea of a huge deluxe book focused on these two important modules.

So, I can give Goodman Games my money today, and in 3-1/2 months they'll ship.
No freebies? No pre-order bonus content? No appreciation for my 100-day interest-free loan?

Depends on what country you are in and how you pay for the pre-order. Here in the US, if you pay with a credit card, they cannot legally charge your card til the item is in stock and ready to ship. However, if you pay with a debit card or paypal, or anything else that counts as cash, they can legally take the money out of your account right away, no matter how long it is before the product ships.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I don't understand who this product is targeted at.

People like me. It is a pure nostalgia buy. As a young teen, I ran several groups of friends through B2 in 1980 and 1981 (many of them are still gaming today!). Just seeing the cover of that module evokes a rush of fond memories.

darjr

I crit!
The first prints are not as easy to come by. They are available but it looks like good quality ones can run as high as this book or higher. I would have been happy with a copy of the first print run plus a detailed look at the changes between printings, but overall I want this book.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Yeah, I gotta say I'd have preferred a Tales from the Yawning Portal type thing. Preferably with more of the older adventures, and no reprints.

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
Neither of the originals were 16 pages. B1 is 32 pages, and B2 is 28 pages. Including the front and back covers and interior cover maps adds 4 pages to each. So a total of 72 pages for B1 and 64 pages for B2 for both versions of each.

That gets the B1 section to line up with the table of contents, but I can't figure out were the extra six pages for B2 come from.

I don't know if you were ever given an answer, but they mentioned both adventures would have extra content in them to fill in ambiguous rooms that were left untouched in the original, so as to make the adventures fuller. Chances are that B1's additions are probably included in its pagecount and B2's must just be more substantial - fuller scale versions of the maps probably encompass this supposed map gallery.

It's interesting. Those of us who have expressed disappointment with this, basically saying something like "I have fond memories of these adventures, but this product doesn't seem to be of interest to me." Are insulted ("have you looked at the TOC") or derided as "complainers" etc.

Apparently some of you would only allow positive opinions of those topics/products that you feel positive towards? Thanks for being inclusive and open to discussion.

darjr

I crit!
I’d ask you, lord entrails, to reread the very first post after Russ’s.

And for the record I have also said things about this product that I’d rather were done differently, without a single rude comment countering it.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's a collectors piece, plain and simple. I'm buying it because I want all the art in a book I can enjoy and I don't have the old originals (thanks mom :( ).

You can get a print-on-demand copy of both. Both $5 but currently on sale for just under $4.
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/17081/B1-In-Search-of-the-Unknown-Basic?it=1
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/17158/B2-The-Keep-on-the-Borderlands-Basic?it=1

They're often not hard to find used.
You can get an original copy of KotB of $20:
https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Borderl...68158&sr=8-1&keywords=keep+on+the+borderlands

In Search of the Unknown is pricer:
https://www.amazon.com/Search-Dungeons-Dragons-Module-Dungeon/dp/0935696040/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
But you could probably find a cheaper one if you wait. I see lots on eBay.

Remove ads

Remove ads