It's Time To Pre-Order Your Copy Of Into The Borderlands

Goodman Games announced some months ago that it would be producing 5th Edition updates of classic D&D adventures, and the first is now ready for pre-order: Into the Borderlands, a 384-page hardcover reprinting two classic adventures and also updating them to D&D 5E. The book slated for a May release.

Goodman Games announced some months ago that it would be producing 5th Edition updates of classic D&D adventures, and the first is now ready for pre-order: Into the Borderlands, a 384-page hardcover reprinting two classic adventures and also updating them to D&D 5E. The book slated for a May release.

Original-Adventures-Reincarnated-B1-B2.png

Original Adventures Reincarnated: Into the Borderlands is now available for pre-order! This 384-page hardcover reprints the classic Dungeons and Dragons modules B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands, in both their original format and updated for Fifth Edition Dungeons and Dragons. And there is even a full-color 16-page cover gallery insert!

The expected release date for Into the Borderlands is May, but we are hoping (cross your fingers!) to have some early-release copies available at Gary Con in March!

Inside this book you will find high-quality scans from multiple printings of the original first edition adventure modules, plus commentary by such gaming luminaries as Luke Gygax and Mike Mearls. Full fifth edition conversions of both adventures are included, as well as brand new additional adventure locations to further expand and develop the Borderlands. This is a fully playable mini-campaign to start off your new fifth edition adventures, with a distinct old-school vibe.

The originals were 16 pages each (edit - correction; B1 was 32 pages and B2 was 28 pages). This 284-page hardcover includes TWO reprinting of each of the two original modules plus the 5E conversions, which take up more space. The two reprinting include differences like different stat block formats, and different interior art. Goodman Games says "We don’t believe this is repeating the same thing, and these reprints are particularly interesting if you are a student of gaming history."

B1B2-TOC.jpg

The conversion to 5E is a "direct conversion", remaining consistent with the 1E originals; so there will be the same number of monsters in each location, and so on. "It’s up to the DM to mitigate this, or the PCs to use wise tactics (some described by Mr. Gygax himself, decades ago), or to use the age-old practice of “run away to fight another day.” The original B2 was itself not balanced in regard to encounters. There was nothing (aside from a few vague rumors) to prevent a party of 1st-level PCs from wandering into the upper caves, and facing down dozens of undead in one room (for example)."

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

PeelSeel2

Explorer
You can get a print-on-demand copy of both. Both $5 but currently on sale for just under $4.
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/17081/B1-In-Search-of-the-Unknown-Basic?it=1
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/17158/B2-The-Keep-on-the-Borderlands-Basic?it=1

They're often not hard to find used.
You can get an original copy of KotB of $20:
https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Borderl...68158&sr=8-1&keywords=keep+on+the+borderlands

In Search of the Unknown is pricer:
https://www.amazon.com/Search-Dungeons-Dragons-Module-Dungeon/dp/0935696040/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
But you could probably find a cheaper one if you wait. I see lots on eBay.

At that point, might as well buy this product. Two historically significant copies of each, essays by authors and artists, 5e conversions, and 5e expansions. Plus a pdf copy. All in a nicely done package.

I’d ask you, lord entrails, to reread the very first post after Russ’s.

And for the record I have also said things about this product that I’d rather were done differently, without a single rude comment countering it.

You mean from Elfcrusher asking how the page count was justified and then the following post from you that appeared to be a snide comment to look at the TOC? And in my opinion did nothing to answer Elfcrusher's question. You mean that one?

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I want them to do Pharoh/Desert of Desolation series.

The other thing I’d like them to try and tackle are those rare early convention adventures that never made it to full publication.

While we are fantasizing, let's add the original Castle Gygax based on the Grandmaster's notes to the wishlist as well...

darjr

I crit!
While we are fantasizing, let's add the original Castle Gygax based on the Grandmaster's notes to the wishlist as well...

I would, except that's an impossible dream. So many obstacles to that happening I'm confident in saying it never will.

which probably means it now will (wish wish wish wish wish).

darjr

I crit!
You know, now that I think about it, one of these that covered early Dragon magazines and/or The Strategic Review, the birthplace of the Mind Flayer, would be very cool as well. I know the copyright issues with Dragon and the compendium (?) works against this, but wasn't that issue with later issues of Dragon and not so much the earlier ones?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Gygax's widow would have to greenlight that. She apparently shut down all the existing plans to adapt or recreate his work when Gary died, took full control of his estate and has apparently done nothing with it since then. Troll Lords would, I'm sure, be thrilled to put Castle Zygag back in print in a heartbeat, and others with their bits and pieces of his legacy would likely want to do the same.

Hopefully this stuff is all saved somewhere so that someone, someday, somewhere, somehow can give us Castle Greyhawk in one form or another. (No, not that form, TSR. Go home, you're drunk.)

guachi

Hero
So Goodman Games itself says it's a 1e module? I just thought that was Morrus getting it wrong in a quick write-up in the initial post.

If it's true, that doesn't bode well for the competence on the part of Goodman Games. Hard pass.

darjr

I crit!
So Goodman Games itself says it's a 1e module? I just thought that was Morrus getting it wrong in a quick write-up in the initial post.

If it's true, that doesn't bode well for the competence on the part of Goodman Games. Hard pass.

when they say 1e they are talking about the 1e of the adventures. Here's a quote from the FAQ "Keep in mind we are only discussing the original 1E publications here, not the later updates and iterations."

Though it's unclear in other areas of the FAQ if they mean the 1e of the modules or D&D.

Still, the previous work of this kind they've done like this with Metamorphosis Alpha is pretty fantastic. And after seeing the Judges Guild book I know they can knock it out of the park.

Shadow Demon

Explorer
Although there is little significant difference on the DM side between 1e and B/X (or any of classic 20th century versions), identifying B1 & B2 as 1e adventures instead of Basic is particularly sloppy on the part of Goodman Games. This is ironic considering the target audience knows this all too well as "students of gaming history".

One difference between the printings of B2 is that is the early one was included with Holmes Blue Box set while the latter printing was included with Moldvay Red Box set. In particular, the early printing of B2 had Dexterity stats for monsters to use the Holmes order of combat method.

Remove ads

Remove ads