TSR James M Ward: Meeting Gary Gygax and Learning D&D

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Welcome!

Although I've been playing since 1977, I've never had the honor of meeting Gary. Of course, I was 10 at the time... But I did get the chance to exchange with him here before his passing, at least.

SuddenImpact

Explorer
Thank you Jim for sharing this story. I have a list of about 14,200 articles I want to read stored in OneNote and when I saw this article today, it moved to the top of the list!
And I loved every minute I spent reading it!

jortaggio

First Post
Yes, thanks very much for sharing! I once wrote to Gary when I was maybe 10 or 11. He was kind enough to write back a short letter. I wish I still had the thing but it was long to a messy boy's bedroom monster and the quest to recover it failed completely. :( Perhaps someday it will appear in a box of lost attic or basement treasures... One can only hope.

It is funny you mention the d4. The instructions said to read the number on the bottom of the die, so I kept turning it over and looking at the bottom. The problem, of course, was there was always 3 numbers on the bottom side! How confusing to a kid!! We thought maybe you were supposed to add them together or something? So, our magic-users always had great hit points (6-9 per level!) and did awesome damage with the dagger. LOL!

Eventually, I figured it out that the bottom number on each side showing was the same... I felt silly, but just loved the game more for it. :)

I spent my first few months as a new and self-taught DM/player turning the d4 over to see which number was NOT on the bottom. Eventually, I encountered another player who explained to me that it was easier to read the number appearing on the bottom edges. Luckily, we didn't need the d4 all that often...

Zander

Explorer
What a great piece! Thank you, Mr Ward, both for this and all you have done for the world of RPGaming. You're a luminary!

I am very much looking forwards to your inside line on Deities & Demigods. I bought the re-titled Legends & Lore in 1985, but a few years later in the '90s, I bought two second-hand copies of the DDG with the Cthulhu and Melnibonéan mythoi. Luckily for me, my mother was a craft bookbinder (now retired) and was able to restore them to almost perfect condition. They remain among my most treasured RPG collectables.

Remove ads