• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

James Wyatt + Eberron

BlackMoria

First Post
Originally Posted by Badkarmaboy

My question is: How do all the FR fans feel?

<sarcasm mode on>
We are just feeling the love here.

So much so, it is a pity the Eberron fans are now going to miss out on all that loving we've been getting.

I guess for the Eberron fans - always the bridesmaid .... never the bride. :p

<sarcasm mode off>

Personally for me, this go around, I'd rather the Realms was the bridesmaid.

Last edited:

TwinBahamut

First Post
I'm really happy. The Eberron timeline change was the one thing I didn't care for concerning 4E, and now it is not a problem.

I am glad they realized they can do interesting things with the setting through hinting and possibilities, rather than changes to the canon. In fact, it wouldn't be Eberron if there even was a canon. The lack of limitations, the vagueness of the setting concerning countless characters and regions, and the constant hinting at contradictory ideas, is what made me like the setting in the first place. A timeline shft implies there is a WotC controlled canon in the first place, which is flatly contrary to the spirit of the setting.

But I like creative hinting at possibilities in the sourcebooks, so I welcome that.

Glyfair

Explorer
Rechan said:
Vocal minority was upset that this was setting precedence for Eberron to advanced and changed and new advanced storylines and novels will become canon and then cats and dogs living together.

Yup, most of the discussion was on the 4E Eberron thread. It is a vocal minority crying against it. I gave up giving the counter point-of-view myself because it was clear it was being drowned out by a couple of very loud posters.

Daztur

Adventurer
I think what's mostly at issue here is whether or not novels are Canon. Frankly, most D&D novels suck and if you have a big and ever-growing stack of them and you have to squeeze them all into canon things get very messy very fast. In fact I think that a lot of the problems with FR (and why I avoid that setting like the plague) is because they made too many novels canon which is a big sorce of the epic NPC bloat in FR...

Kurotowa

Legend
It makes me happier. A larger gap from the Last War makes it harder to work in war vets, makes the scars of war a little less fresh and raw, and so on. There's no need to advance the timeline, really. So this is a great choice, IMO.

Daztur said:
I think what's mostly at issue here is whether or not novels are Canon. Frankly, most D&D novels suck and if you have a big and ever-growing stack of them and you have to squeeze them all into canon things get very messy very fast. In fact I think that a lot of the problems with FR (and why I avoid that setting like the plague) is because they made too many novels canon which is a big sorce of the epic NPC bloat in FR...

But those two issues needn't be, and shouldn't be, conflated. They've already said, officially and numerous times, that Eberron novels aren't canon to the setting.

That fact is, and should have remained, totally separate from the "are we advancing the timeline" question.

Again, I could see objecting to a major change. But two years? I just don't see the big deal.

And I hope they're still able to introduce any of the cool ideas they wanted to add.

Mortellan

Explorer
Alot can happen in a year's time as we learned with the 4E announcement promises. I'd get that no timeline advance in writing!

Glyfair

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
Again, I could see objecting to a major change. But two years? I just don't see the big deal.
To tell the truth, I was looking forward to it. Ah well, again foiled by the loud internet fanatics.

Hussar

Legend
Realistically, what can happen in 2 years? I know that Eberron has fairly widespread low power transportation technology, but, even then, two years at a 18th century tech level isn't enough to fight a medium sized war, let alone shake up the 5 nations.

Meh, tempest in a teacup methinks.

Alceste

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Good! I'm okay with fleshing out new elements, but Eberron is the setting where the PCs in your game advance your world, not the designers' parties.

Thanks a ton for listening, WotC!

I agree heavily with this. Keeping the players first is what Eberron is about. Wheras making novels canon leads to epic npcs everywhere ala FR epic npc glut.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads