Jamison Stone & Satine Phoenix's Apotheosis Studio To Wind Down [UPDATED]

After being accused of abusive behaviour towards freelancers and co-workers, the game company run by D&D influencer Satine Phoenix and her husband Jamison Stone, is to enter a 'reduced capacity' mode.

sirens.jpg

After the accusations were made, Jamison Stone resigned as CEO; after a couple of weeks he was added back to the company's staff page, saying that he was never actually removed but merely taking personal time while Apotheosis Studio conducted an investigation.

In a draft of a recent statement obtained by Dicebreaker, Stone indicated that the results of this investigations were that the 'vast majority' of the accusations made were 'factually inaccurate'. He went on to discuss the ramifications of 'cancel culture', although the statement was updated to rephrase that as 'extreme changes'. Other than the initial apology to tattooist Chad Rowe, Stone has indicated that no further apologies will be forthcoming.

“The rest of the team now has completed those investigations and found that while some individuals had legitimate complaints, the vast majority of the allegations to date levelled against Jameson and others on our team have been proven to be factually inaccurate. We believe that people should be shown compassion, given the opportunity to write their wrongs and grow as individuals.”

As for the company itself, it will finish fulfilling existing Kickstarter projects. It will not be accepting requests to cancel and refund pledges for existing funded Kickstarters, and noted that most of the freelancers and contributors have been paid. When asked about the company's future, Stone said "As it stands - and I don’t know what the future will hold - it’s just a company that is there. It just exists and sells books. Some of my books, some books by other people. It will sell The Red Opera and eventually sirens. All of the people who are there are just contracted at this point."

A statement is expected to come soon from Apotheosis.

UPDATE -- Apotheosis Studio's statement has arrived:

Thank you for your patience. We have had a lot of questions about the future of Apotheosis Studios, its team, and our projects. While Jamison Stone did step down as CEO to take personal time while Apotheosis Studios did an internal investigation on the allegations brought forth by numerous individuals, we in no way claimed that we were removing Jamison from the company. Having completed our internal investigation, we have found that while some individuals had legitimate complaints, the vast majority of the allegations to date levied against Jamison and others on our team have been proven to be inaccurate. Jamison will directly address major allegations and misinformation within the month.

We at Apotheosis Studios do not support abuse in any form. We believe in accountability and the ability for everyone to reflect, learn from their mistakes, grow, and be given the opportunity to show what they’ve learned by actively being better through action. We encourage everyone to stand up for themselves in compassionate ways with the hope to make things better so no one has to live in fear. It is in this honesty that we can learn from one another and each be better for ourselves, our families, and our communities while not furthering abuse, bullying, harassment, and other dehumanizing behaviors.

Sirens: Battle of the Bards will be delayed while those who are still working on the project deal with the ramifications of the extreme changes that we have had to make due to this situation. We will be sending out merchandise that we already have in hand for US backers first. Sirens: Battle of the Bards is 90% finished and its contractors have been paid, therefore refunds will not be issued. We will provide additional updates on fulfillment as we know more.

Because there seems to have been some confusion regarding the nature of our operations, we wish to state again that payments to writers started in March 2022 and as new invoices were received, we processed them promptly. All artists and contractors who have completed their work and were authorized for billing have been paid. The only remaining work is rewrites, editing, and layout. This, as stated above, will take longer than originally planned.

For reference: we had the following number of contractors working on this project:
  • Writers - 22 writers. Paid 10 cents per word
  • Artists - 4. Paid monthly or per image
  • Graphic Designer - 1. Paid monthly
  • Layout artist - Paid monthly, even when not working on a project
  • Musicians - 2. Paid promptly per song
  • Sculptor - 1. Paid promptly per sculpt
The Sirens writing Deadline was Oct 31. Approval passes started in November. Unfortunately, the approval passes took longer than expected which pushed out approval for the contractors to bill by 3-4 months. Billing authorization was issued in March of 2022 and we promptly paid all invoices properly submitted to our accountant.

For this project, we provided templates for Adventure Chapters with an 8,450 words max budget. 9 of 22 chapters were over word count
  • 4 over by 1000 words
  • 1 over by 3700 words
  • 2 over by 4750 words
  • 1 over by 7000 words
Despite the fact that many chapters were over the word counts outlined the writers were paid for the overages after appropriate approval. Writers whose writing was not used were still authorized to bill us and were paid 10 cents per word.

For those of you who have reached out with constructive feedback, we greatly appreciate your support and patience. We will have further updates as more information becomes available.

Sarah Urfer

Last edited:

Being "too concerned about their reputation" is what protected the likes of Harvey Weinstein. In a small industry like RPGs, having a publisher put the word out that you're difficult to work with or don't deliver as promised can damage your reputation to the point where getting work is hard. And then there's the fact that going through the proper channels, civil court, is both expensive and time consuming. I think I have a little more empathy in this matter than you do.
While I am, I must modestly admit, a paragon of Human virtue, empathy is not my strongest quality.

Actually, unless the amount involved is in the five figures range, civil court is much cheaper than you would expect in most states. For example, in Texas a case involving less than $10,000 requires a $35 filing fee, and does not require a lawyer. Nor is it particularly time consuming.

The problem is, as I've noted, unless the contractor took the time and effort to get a formal, and detailed, contract signed, the outcome will not likely be satisfying. Lacking a clear and binding paper trail, the ruling will likely be a 'split the difference' at best.

The solution is for freelancers to pay a lawyer a couple hundred bucks to draft a standard contract for their type of services, and then to use that contract in their dealings with persons wanting their services. With a legally binding contract, the chances of being ripped off is low to none.

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
No, it is a statement of fact and the only viable solution to the problem under discussion. Legally binding contracts have been doing their job since 1791.

Legally binding contracts are a deterrent to being ripped off, and help to enforce an agreement if one party is ripping off the other. The claim that having a legally binding contract makes the chances of being ripped off "low to none" is so unrealistic that I have to wonder if it's trolling.

Legally binding contracts are a deterrent to being ripped off, and help to enforce an agreement if one party is ripping off the other. The claim that having a legally binding contract makes the chances of being ripped off "low to none" is so unrealistic that I have to wonder if it's trolling.
And I have to wonder if you're just trying to up your post count under the guise of nit-picking. Like using legally binding contracts, there is a simple solution to that issue, as well. :)

MGibster

Legend
I deal with contracts between my company and independent contractors, and I don't think a single one describes penalties for non-payment or delivery of services. We have that kind of language for contracts with vendors (staffing agencies for example), but nothing of the kind for independent contractors.

Teo Twawki

Coffee ruminator
I worked (and was trained in) human trafficking cases
empathy is not my strongest quality.

Having worked with--after having been one--refugees of genocide who are often targets of human trafficking, I have to say that these two claims are severely antithetical to each other. And, in my experience, non-existent in combination. Perhaps you failed in your training.

Regardless, you definitely sound like you're defensively trolling here.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This thread appears to be nothing more than contract workers who failed to use proper contractual procedures to ensure a legal footing for payment. Or who are too concerned about their industrial reputation to take the issue to civil court.

I mean, if you really want to blame the victims, you can say that, sure.

But, if you do that, I don't think you're going to be persuasive. So, you might want to think about that.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases