• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Jan] What are you reading?

Datt

First Post
Just bought the Earthsea trilogy yesterday at Half Price Books for $5. So I figured I would give them a reread. It has been a few years since I read them the first time.

Ysgarran

I'm currently reading: "The Closing of the Western Mind : The Rise of Faith and the Fall of Reason" by Charles Freeman.

I'm starting a campaign set in a pseudo Roman Empire. The empire is under pressure from within (a corrupt church) and without (Barbarian hordes that are both jealous of the empire and greedy of its wealth). The era of the book is roughly the same time period I plan to place the campaign in. The empire's armies is still strong but there will be temptations to the commanders of those armies to try for the throne.

The social glue will be patronage. Basically the characters will not be able to get a 'good job', find out where the best ruins are, without a patron to support them. This means there will be a number of very strong noble families. Ancestor worship will be an important aspect since the members of a noble family will always have the knowledge that their forebearers are watching them and if they want a good afterlife they had better live up to those expectations.

I also have a couple of books on the people of the Roman empire. I'll post those titles later.

Ysgarran.

Merlion

First Post
Well, I have several choices. I can final finish the last 50 pages of Wizard and Glass, AKA Dark Tower 4 by Stephen King, and then begin on DT 5, OR I can read From a Buick 8, supposedly the last non-dark tower book SK is going to publish, OR I can read the Other Shore, the newish 5th Earthsea book, OR theres American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Havent decided yet.

Pants

First Post
Just finished The Wastelands by Stephen King. I'm now currently working on Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (damn good so far), and Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (sort of underwhelmed right now, hope it gets better.
When I'm done with those, I have American Gods by Neil Gaiman, Wizard and Glass by Stephen King, and Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb up on deck.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Merlion said:
Are the Robin Hobb books the one with some sort of Fool character?

Yes -- there's the Assassins trilogy (edit: actually the title is the Farseer Trilogy I think), with the Fool in it; and then there's another trilogy set in a different part of the same world (the Liveship Traders series); and now there's a third trilogy (well, 3rd book of that trilogy comes out next month) going back to the characters from the Assassin trilogy but strongly weaving in stuff from the Liveship trilogy. A very satisfying fantasy series.

Last edited:

Merlion

First Post
I have a shirt that says "So many books....so little time"
But rarely has it been so true. Theres to many bleeding things I need to bloody read.

drothgery

First Post
This month...

First reads: House of Chains by Steven Erikson (A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen: Book 4); New Spring by Robert Jordan (pretty good; New Spring and Winter's Heart are why I still hold out some small hope for a satisfying conclusion to the Wheel of Time, despite the painful-to-read The Path of Daggers and the book where nothing happens, err, Crossroads of Twilight); and I'll probably get to Golden Fool by Robin Hobb (Tawny Man book 2; mentioned up-thread) later this month.

Other than that, I've been working on my first WoT re-read in a long time. I'd been putting it off because I didn't want to read CoT again, but I figured I should catch up on everything with the novel-length New Spring coming soon.

For the rest of this year... Sethra Lavode by Steven Brust is due in April, which finishes of The Viscount of Adrilankha. So I'll reread the Khaarven books before then. I read Wolves of the Cella (Dark Tower 5) over Thanksgiving, so book 6 is a must-have (and I can't remember if book 7 is supposed to be out this year or not).

Krug

Newshound
Just finished Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland. Pretty good, though not as cutting as some of his earlier work.

Almost through The Fixer by Joe Sacco. Trying to squeeze far too much journalism into a story for my taste.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads